Unlimited access >

Polo Broke?

What does that generally mean?
I’m a magnet for mystery horses, but I’ve never actually had a “polo broke” horse.
I “acquired” a mystery 4-5 year old mare. She’s set to be delivered with in a week and I can’t get over that term.
Limited background info. Ridiculous video of Argentinian riding mare in a small field in a rope halter. Mare happily neck reined and moved haunches/shoulders. Friend (acquired horse enabler) rode and mare seems very quiet.
Don’t think this mare was actually played. This is not a polo retrain, just an English pleasure with some occasional jumping.
Thoughts?

2 Likes

I rode fresh polo rejects pretty regularly as a kid/teen. I didn’t die so that’s a good sign. Stretching over the top line might not be in their resume but certainly more broke than fresh racehorse rejects. Those are my recollections. Naturally your polo pony may be wildly different than the ponies I recall from my youth.

2 Likes

Neck reins, very responsive to the aids. Probably cool with being hit with things/run into. (Mallets, balls, other horses) Probably ponies well, ties to the trailer.

3 Likes

Totally depends on the rider. The best polo players are good horsemen and value their mounts. There are also polo players for whom the horse is a means to drive fast, do handbrake turns and burn rubber in front of an audience. They are usually trained to stop from a rider position and weight shift and they get good at doing it - which can be disconcerting.

1 Like

Ya know, one might really appreciate a polo pony in certain warm up rings lol

5 Likes

I’ve seen a few ex polo ponies in the hunt field. I imagine it would mean that they are used to horses bumping into them and can load onto a crowded trailer.

5 Likes

Experience has taught me the definition of the term depends on whether we’re talking an amateur’s polo horse or a professional’s.

In both cases, I find the horses need massive amounts of retraining on how to carry themselves under saddle. Polo horses are heavily harnessed and bitted up because you need maximum control, often at high speeds. Correct carriage is not a high priority for polo players, so these horses are often running with their heads up and backs dropped and develop muscular as such.

Well-trained polo horses are often pretty quiet because they get a ton of exposure, trailering, traveling, etc. Ammie polo horses can be quite dull, surprisingly, because they get used to their riders pulling on them, losing their balance, etc. They need to tolerate a lot of ham-handedness. A pro’s horse, or one trained by a good rider, is probably going to be a lot handier and lighter.

Never had a bad experience with a polo-broke horse, though - I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the handful I’ve come across.

A 17-18 yo polo pony that is being retired out of polo is a very different horse than a 4 yo TB that has washed out of a training program. Reasons for rejecting could be mental, physical, or health-related. I would be just as careful as you normally are when buying a horse. And don’t make the mistake of comparing your riding skills to that of an Argentine pro.

I’m happy to report that little miss polo cutie is exactly that. Quiet as the day is long and well more “broke” than I anticipated.
I don’t know what I expected. I didn’t know if I was getting feral or civilized. What I ended up with is a green as grass 4 year old that was definitely started hard. So trusting and sweet. So sweet, I don’t know that I ever encountered such a lovely horse.
Under saddle, we have brakes (yay!), turning, AND voice commands. Not jumpy in the slightest. Happily works off the weight of rider. There is no run away in this mare.
I’ve already introduced her to light contact side reins to start the process of using the correct muscles. Eventually, she will graduate to balance system.
Somehow, I ended up with a sweet sane mare ready for her leg up in life

18 Likes

What a lovely update! Congratulations

Congratulations, love a happy story.