Unlimited access >

Polos vs boots

I’m not trying to make definitive statements about all boots. I have a very narrow moving, shod horse, and the boots I had been using (still use for turnout) were substantially more bulky than polos, and caused brushing behind in the trot. I strongly prefer having some protection, but avoiding the brushing. I’m just realizing now that the boots probably wore out so quickly because he is so narrow.

"Boots add a good 2” to the diameter of the booted leg, which, in my horse, is probably enough to cause brushing that would not occur in bare legs or polos.

Polos have a slimmer profile than boots, which are pretty clunky. I claim my preference for the slimmer profile is based on the functionality of less brushing of legs in his narrowness, and not just esthetics." - quoted from your post

It was that part that just sounded definitive to me :woman_shrugging:

If your boots are substantially more bulky than polos, then sure, that could cause brushing. I also think some boots wear better than others, but also it is true that some horses may wear through them faster than others.

1 Like

I made a very grave error in saying that “boots” add “a good 2” “. I revise the statement to say that the (faux) sheepskin boots I had been using probably added at least 1.5” in diameter to my horse’s lower leg, and, given his narrow movingness, this created a lot of brushing that is not there with polos.

Neoprene boots have a slim profile. People with horses who move more normally are probably fine with sheepskin lined boots.

1 Like

Yeah, some of the sheepskin/faux fur boots are a bit bulky. I have a set and they are a bit much. I’ve used them like…twice.

I do have a mesh with faux fur edging from Eskadron, still a bit of bulk but an interesting compromise.

I think this thread has been very informative. The “best” leg protection (including none at all) definitely depends on the horse and the horse’s routine.

2 Likes

Right, thereby cooling it more than something that holds the sweat on the leg (like fleece polos).

I think it is an issue of “breathability”; the extent to which air and moisture can move through the material. Fleece polos are more breathable than neoprene but perhaps less breathable than sheepskin.

1 Like

Coincidentally, we picked up a pair of these on a tack store run 2 hours ago. Glad to hear they work well!

1 Like

I think this is one of the correct studies, but there are several I believe that show that horse’s tendons/ligaments heat up during work and take a long time to cool down. And evaluation of the cells of the structures shows damage.

3 Likes

I generally use nothing. I’ll use polos when I want to look fancy.

Just slap on a pair of bell boots and off we go. He’s a bit narrow behind but we’ve been riding together for 6 years now and not a single injury from brushing (knock on wood).

However, I have a friend with a mare who has knocked her own front leg on more than one occasion without boots so she boots every time. She has boots and polos (depending on her outfit).

1 Like

I use boots every single time on every horse I ride - front and back regardless if they’re shod or not, regardless of our workout that particular day. It’s the smallest thing I can do to try to prevent an injury. I prefer the Eskadron Flexisoft Air. I’ve had the Lemieux tendon boots as well but they tend to make my horse’s legs too warm and sweaty underneath. I also have the Eskadron Climatex bandage pads plus wool polos, which I used one single time - too much effort and also too warm.

1 Like

I liked Dover’s Premium Sports Boots with synthetic fleece lining. Never seemed to get sweaty under them. They washed beautifully and held up well - especially since they are only $29.95/pair. Sometimes I could get them even cheaper at $24.95 or even $19.95.

A related question - I’ve been watch a lot of sales videos of dressage horses lately. When did it start becoming a “thing” to have what looks like polos over REALLY puffy pillow wraps that come up over the knee?

1 Like

Two+ years ago when I was looking for a horse and watched a lot of videos, I never saw that. In fact, I didn’t know what you were referring to, so I took a look at sales videos on YouTube. Where’s the fruitbat? Maybe someone can explain it, but I sure can’t.

I’m glad it’s not just me. It looks like it’d be as annoying as hell to the horse. I did notice it seemed to be more common in the videos of horses in Europe. (Not that I can afford importing a horse from Europe! but those ads usually are at the top of the search results.)

1 Like

It’s funny because as a foxhunter, boots are frowned upon (they can hold water and dirt) and, of course, no one hunts with polos. I’ve used boots on horses that interfered, and after my TB hit a check ligament while galloping in his paddock I hunted him in Majyk Equipe boots, which ventilate pretty well. His legs were still hot when I too them off, though.

But most people hunt their horses with naked legs.

My horses also live out 24/7 so do not wear boots at home.

3 Likes

My OTTB interferes and will be bleeding in at least one spot if I ride him without front boots at anything faster than a walk. He usually does okay in turnout - so far he’s only gotten cellulitis from dinging himself the one time. :roll_eyes: He’s out 24/7 so it’s not like booting would be an option anyway. I really don’t like the fact that he has to go in boots because it does make his legs hotter but it is what it is. I use neoprene galloping boots most of the time because I think they heat up slightly less than fleecey brushing boots. I will sometimes use a full set if we want to be fancy for a clinic.

I also have a 14 year old conformational trainwreck of a pony that hasn’t had a single interference injury in his life, so he only gets booted for XC.

1 Like

This is a rule of horse ownership, right? :roll_eyes: :grin:

5 Likes

I found the opposite to be true. Neoprene Woof boots = sweaty legs. Faux fleece = not nearly as sweaty. Perhaps they were just better at wicking it away? Neoprene were more convenient for cleaning (i.e., just hose off vs. washing machine). Also, had less cannon crud issues with the faux fleece.

Whoa! Thanks for sharing this article. I had no idea that my beloved polos could create conditions hot enough to cause cell damage. This is kind of a “BFD,” really good to know.

2 Likes

i used to wrap legs when i transported. Big thick cotton wadding first, then polowraps. But i got over that. I used to braid up tails and pull manes too. and brush the bejesus out of my Morgans. Now …with so many horses to care for and ride… and jumping off one and onto another, i barely brush where the saddle and girth go.(i’ve become such a grungy little heathen) And my horses legs are non-problematic…they cross rocky creeks, gallop up and down big hills and i’ve yet to see a bump or ding. Now…maybe i’ve just not noticed. But the ones i ride i pick out their feet first so i’m handling their legs every-other day at least. I don’t think wraps or boots enhance a horse’s looks, if i did think so, i’d probably do it. But for health and safety etc, i’m not so sure it helps. I think lots of regular free exercise helps undo the unnatural strains training puts on muscles and tendons.

5 Likes