Unlimited access >

Polos vs boots

What I would like to see is comparison of polos to polos (different fabrics) and boots to boots (different materials, different styles). Each would also be compared to naked. This study is a decent start, but, to put in research-speak, the independent variable isn’t particularly well defined.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth. I have a thermal gun (mostly for trying to find abbesses in the hoof) and not sure how accurate it is to the number but the horses leg below the knee generally shows a topical temperature around the low 80s F. In winter I’ve had as low a temp as 70F and standing in snow even lower.

When using boots, polos, or shipping wraps the temps go up to around 100 depending on the environment and how hard they have worked, or in the case of shipping boots how long they have been on. Can you tell I was a bit obsessed when I first got this toy! Haha

Needless to say I don’t use any of the above unless the horse interfere or a clinic/lesson where I’m going to be doing a ton of lateral work.

Bottom line we all do the best we can with the knowledge we can and pray the horses don’t kill themselves.

4 Likes

Oh cool. Is it useful for locating abscesses? We happen to have a thermal imaging device (used to diag motors) and I haven’t ever thought of imaging my horses!!!

3 Likes

Well sometimes it does; sometimes yes and sometimes no. Just depends how deep the abscess is. If it’s close to the surface it works great, but super deep mine isn’t high enough quality to get thru a lot of tissue or during hot spells like now. A better model would be really nice!

3 Likes

This is a discussion about polo wraps, not polo shirts.

2 Likes

I’m guessing spam post, have reported it as such

2 Likes

And this is why I use Woof boots when possible. Much slimmer profile. I have noticed several horses quickly going through the very thick, “super protective” boots because they just destroy them. Same horses, much less scuffing with Woof boots.

1 Like

Y’know today I was putting on Eskadron boots (mesh with faux fur) and they’re thicker and just bulky. They’re more beat up than my older, less bulky, Arma Air Motion boots. I used to use and like Woof Wear too. This horses skin can be odd about solid neoprene, so no fault of the WW boots, really. Always worked well with my previous horses.

1 Like

I have used boots for years but recently noticed the boots were rubbing. I have tried many types of boots and especially with one of mine; the boots were rubbing a sore. And with the sheepskin they catch a lot of the arena footing in them. I went to Climatex wraps with polos over the top. It’s more time but they work really well. Easy to wash the Climatex wrap that is on the skin so it’s clean each ride. I have several so I transfer them to the wash that way. His legs don’t seem hot after so I have been very happy with the results.

1 Like