Unlimited access >

Pony Breeding

Hi everyone!
One of my friends has a mare that I have actually looked at purchasing a few times over the years, it’s just never worked out. Now they need to move her and would give her away for free. Originally I had looked at purchasing as a prospect years ago, but she’s head shy/hates bits, and has some problems. You can work through them, but nobody’s done it before. Pony is certified for therapy as well. She’s been sitting out in a field for a while, so I was either looking at this two ways.

1. Bring her back and see if maybe she could be re-worked and used in lesson program as, from what I remember, she was a nice pony.

2. Bring her back and if she bombs the program, breed her. Breeding’s actually my main interest with this horse.
    She is registered and they have papers they are trying to locate. Her name is Muse, and I know she comes from some welsh bloodline. Now, my questions as I would be breeding for the first time.

3. Pony is between 14-16 years old. Don’t believe she’s been breed before as she was mainly therapy and now pasture ornament. Is this too old of an age to breed? I was wondering if there were tests my vet could run to see if she will be a good fit. Breeding is completely new to me.

4. According to a previous vet, she has a body score of 9. Plan would be once she’s back on property, to work every day for 15-20 minutes, reduce access to rich grass, cut feed, etc. She’s fat as a tick. Would this be a problem with breeding? I know seasons about now, so don’t know how this influences with taking. Hopefully by the time she was a few months in, she would drop some pounds. :lol:

If anyone can help me and give me some insights, I would really love it! I’ve got 20 acres currently, and a 16 stall barn is being put up along with a ring in the coming of months. Stalls are 12x14, so I know that wouldn’t be ideal for foaling a horse, but I didn’t know about ponies? As it has yet to be built and breeding is something I’m planning to get into, I could always see about doing 14 stalls at 12x14 and combining two stalls. As well, each stall has an attachment to a turnout. Or, is it better for a first timer to have their pony be at a barn that handles breeding on the daily? So many questions…:lol:

Got the name… Glynmagic Modern Muse.
https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/glynmagic+modern+muse

I was able to find her name and it came up as Glynmagic Modern Muse. She’s a 2007 model
https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/glynmagic+modern+muse

absolutely fine to breed her.
my top choice for your mare, taking a good look at her pedigree,
would be telynau royal charter.
the brains on him and his babies are amazing. movement, talent… color… ahh…