Unlimited access >

Pony Jumper

I’ve been a long time lurker but this is my first post. I’ve spent most of my years eventing. I bought a pony a while ago with plans to event him but he prefers to stay in the ring as a jumper. I’m now ready to sell but understand that the pony jumper market is tough. A child had him free leased for a while and did jumpers on him.

I’ve made some phone calls and have him listed on one website but I have gotten nothing. To make it even more difficult, I’m located in the Midwest. Any recommendations on where to advertise or trainers that can sell pony jumpers? I would consider sending him somewhere if they are honest and I can afford it. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Pony123;8570748]
I’ve been a long time lurker but this is my first post. I’ve spent most of my years eventing. I bought a pony a while ago with plans to event him but he prefers to stay in the ring as a jumper. I’m now ready to sell but understand that the pony jumper market is tough. A child had him free leased for a while and did jumpers on him.

I’ve made some phone calls and have him listed on one website but I have gotten nothing. To make it even more difficult, I’m located in the Midwest. Any recommendations on where to advertise or trainers that can sell pony jumpers? I would consider sending him somewhere if they are honest and I can afford it. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Last year I believe a pony club team was national champion. Perhaps you could find their coach and send her an email? You should be able to find her through all the press on USEF they received.

What I’ve noticed is that the same pony jumpers appear over and over at pony finals. They get passed around. But, if you were to appeal to the pony club team they might be interested in an unknown. Just a thought… good luck!

And sorry, the coach of the pony club team is a guy!

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/pony-club-way-beats-out-competition-us-pony-jumper-team-championshi

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, Richard Lamb is one of the phone calls I have already made. He knew of my pony from the Pony Finals that year and said he liked him but didn’t have anyone at that time looking.

Oh geez. That is tough. I hope someone on here can help.

Jumping over from Dressageland, so no real help, but I will say that I would contact everyone you can think of–the worst they can do is say no or not respond! I recently sold my gelding who decided he wanted to be a hunter rather than a dressage horse (so different than trying to sell a pony jumper, I know), but I contacted all of the BNT who did hunters in my area. One thought he had a couple clients who may have been interested, and while they didn’t take him, he was able to find someone else out of state that bought him! So while no one I contacted directly had a client to buy my horse, it definitely helped to tell everyone I knew about him (;

You can’t even give them away where I am from ??

Is the pony good outside of the ring? On trails, cross country, etc?

Unfortunately the American show jumping market is not overly fond of ponies. I’ve seen a very nice pony jumper sit for months, then sell pretty quick once they moved it to an eventing trainer (pony had great flat work/dressage foundation and had fox hunted.)

I’ve noticed foxhunters and eventers especially tend to be appreciative of a good pony, although obviously that is an entirely different skill set than what your pony jumper might be cut out for.

I would love a pony. The day I outgrew them was a sad, sad day for me. I am 6’0 and all leg and look positively stupid on anything under 15.3, but if I were a bit shorter or wasn’t composed so much of femurs, I would buy a pony in a heartbeat.

Not helpful at all, but just to say that people are foolish for not taking advantage of a lovely pony.

He is a great all around pony. I was just trying to place him where he would be happiest. If he doesn’t sell by the start of our season, I could school him x-c and event him.

He is a lot of fun to ride. I wouldn’t sell if it weren’t for the fact that I can only afford board on two. I need something younger to start instead of a cute, fun pony.

What price range do you consider appropriate for pony jumpers?

Also, what size is yours?

My daughter is currently leasing a large who can do a bit of everything–pony jumpers, pony derby, pony hunter (but he won’t win that one). I don’t know how much he’s worth in $$, but the fun she’s had on him is priceless.

Could you market him as a hunter?

He certainly has the form over fences but I don’t think he is slow enough between fences. He is totally sane. He is just not the slow, quiet hunter type.

Donna Owens at www.poniesunlimitedllc.com is the Queen of Pony Jumpers in Zone 2. She owns a string of pony jumpers and I think her pony won Devon PJ’s last year. She is always buying new PJ’s.

If he could even dabble in the regular hunters it would be easier… How much “not the slow quiet hunter type” is he really? If it’s 100% a no-go that’s one thing, but if he could at ALL go into both rings it’s an easier sell.

Just the way the (North American) world works with ponies, sadly.