Unlimited access >

Pony or horse stallion, dressage or hunter?

I have a dilemma. A Canadian Sport Horse mare I own that’s out on a broodmare lease is bred to a Section A Welsh and will foal in early June. I’m debating whether to breed herself myself for a 2023 foal. Although she is 15.2 and petite, her genetics are big - sire is 17.1 HH Hanoverian Grand Prix dressage stallion, dam was a 16.2 TB bred as a sport horse, not a racehorse. If I was breeding it for me, I love German Riding Ponies and that would undoubtedly be my choice but the foal will almost certainly be oversize. The foal would be for sale and or mare-in-foal as a package. She has dressage bloodlines but could also produce a nice hunter. She is very type - gorgeous head, big eyes, swan neck and a good mover with very good jump.

We’ve bred Welsh/Warmbloods for many years. I don’t necessarily see the foal going over 14.2 HH.

How tall is the sire? Is he North American bred or imported from the UK? Does he have enough foals on the ground to determine what their finished heights are? For the dam, does she have any other siblings and what heights have they finished at?

I totally agree that the chances of her foal going over are quite strong. I’d breed yourself a lovely horse OR go back to a Section A and roll the dice.