Unlimited access >

Pony size v human size

Hello!!
I am 5’1, 110 lbs. my pony is 13ish hh and delicate build. I wonder what people think of how I look on her? She can carry me no problem. I’m asking more about aesthetics. How do we look together? Do I look like a goof sitting on my precious pony or are we a nice fit?

Thanks, y’all!
PONIES FOREVER!
Image links:
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201709871339058&id=1548510058&st=14

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208812577422271&id=1548510058&st=14

Aesthetically you are a little big. What are your plans with her? She’s cute, and I never have any issues with adults riding ponies (I actually fit larges quite well and consider them in my ideal size range). But there are some things, competitively, you won’t be able to do on a pony.

You aren’t at all too big to ride her.

You are too big to present an aesthetically pleasing picture in the show ring.

So, the answer to your question is, “It depends on what your goals are.”

I agree with yellowbritches, strictly speaking in regards to aesthetics, you look a bit big on her. But definitely are not too big to ride her. I recently started leasing the first large pony I’ve ever ridden in my life, and at first I thought I looked like a nutter on her! But my god, are they fun! Don’t let aesthetics ruin a good thing!

Thanks for your reply! Just general fun, riding hunter. I hope to go to a few shows but nothing serious. :slight_smile: I feel I look maybe a little big, I can’t figure out if it’s my leg or all around size. I think even if I lost weight I’d still look a little big. She’s such a tiny mare- like narrow feeling underneath you and so dainty. She is adorable though! As I continue on my path of riding, I’d eventually like my future children to be able to ride her and enjoy her for fun!

It isn’t your weight that makes you look a bit big. But your upper body. And there’s nothing you can do about that. But if you enjoy her and you’re both comfortable, it doesn’t matter. Do realize that you will be limited in what you can compete her in in the hunter ring, and, even at a local level, it will be hard for her to compete against horses and do well. If you were doing jumpers, dressage, or eventing, it wouldn’t matter a bit, but the Hunters are a different story.

Yeah I’ve thought about dressage for her, but I am not good enough at dressage, yet, to train her up! I think she’d be a stunning pony in the dressage ring, assuming she’s good at it and would move attractively. She’s just so darn cute, I can’t even handle it - you should see her when she isn’t all bleached out or fuzzy. But yes, you make a good point- hunter is the one tricky discipline for us. Also tricky for adults on ponies in general. And of course it’s the only discipline i know, sigh! But I will most likely only be taking her to breed shows and clinics until we find our best fit!

I’ve ridden and shown my large pony since I was 14. I was probably 5’8 when I started riding him and am 5’10 now and maybe 120lbs. He’s a very big 14.2hh. As a junior, we did the hunters and equitation, and most of the time won in the hunters and always won in the equitation (against horses, I never did the ponies on him, didn’t like competing against little kids). I never felt like I was slighted for being on a pony, even though I definitely was a little bigger than ideal.

When I started doing the Adult Hunters on him we weren’t doing as consistently well, and I think some judges finally saw it as ‘unsuitable’. We event now, and work well enough together that no one is too concerned.

Good to know! It’s funny, I’ve looked at pictures of people on ponies who are medium sized, and if the pony is a more bulky build it looks normal, even with people who are taller than me, but the more refined ponies can sometimes look so tiny, even though they’re the same height. Thanks so much for the feedback, guys! This has made me feel like I look less like a doofus. I was worried I might get more negative feedback, but I am so glad other people agree it’s a little off but not ridiculous! After someone asked me if she was a weanling - grrrr - I kind of lost my confidence about how I looked on her and got worried that maybe people thought I looked silly on her. Not that it would change anything, but this has been really helpful feedback!