Unlimited access >

Pony studs that cross well on horse mares for pony hunters?

Asking for a friend:

Anyone know of a small stud proven to produce pony hunter offspring from WB mares?

Mare is a proven hunter and ~16.2h. Goal is a competitive division pony to show on the line as a youngster. Quality mare, would esp like to keep the hunter movement and have a child-friendly brain.

Preference to registered welsh studs. Not excluding crossbreds from consideration, but would be wary of height in the pedigree. Looks like last years top sires were mostly medium/larges.

(ps: friend is aware and accepting of the risk of a hony. she’ll be picky about ensuring a stud is a good match, im just here to help make a list)

I’m no expert on ponies but I was admiring one of the Orchard Hill pony stallions at YHS finals and I believe they have a couple of cute small ponies on their stallion roster.

1 Like

Orchard Hills Ponies. She is very knowledgeable about which of her stallions cross best with which type of mares. I have one that was bred by her in my barn and he is to die for. Super personable, great mover, great jumper, all the things you’d want.

1 Like

There’s no pony who can be proven to produce ponies from 16.2 horses.

4 Likes

Ah, dang. We were hoping maybe an itty bitty welshie guy may have had luck on some taller mares. I knew a cute large pony that came from a 16.1h dam, but he may have been a fluke😅

What are the heights like behind the mare? Is SHE the fluke and taller than genetics said she should be? If not, then no, you MIGHT get a pony foal, but the odds are greatly against you.

1 Like

The only shot you would have is a small sec A like 11.2 that had small sec As in the pedigree but even that would be a risk. Also, if it’s a first foal, you might get lucky. If you are willing to keep forever if it doesn’t work out, then why not?

1 Like

Contact Cheryl Maye, Maye Show Ponies. https://www.mayeshowponies.com

I’m considering something similar for my mare. Compact 15.3 mare, great mover with a big step for her size. Can be spicy, but definitely a hunter. The pony stallion (if I go that route) at the top of my list right now is Hillcrest’s Top Hat. He’s currently standing in Canada, but it could be worth reaching out. He’s older but has been bred to more than a few horse sized mares and produced ponies.

https://www.crownridgefarms.com/hillcreststophat.html