Unlimited access >

Poo Pans - anything similar in US?

I’ve only found it on Facebook so that’s the links, sorry guys; I’ll save some of their pics to upload tho for the non-FB-members among us :slight_smile: . It’s a three-sided steel pan you drag behind a quad or truck that “scoops” paddocks/pastures. It’s across the big water from me, but I can see this making scooping my pastures so much easier, to just sorta drag them into a big central pile and then fork into the dump trailer. It can’t be too hard to make but does anyone know off hand if there is a US business that makes something similar? I have four horses right now, and two one-acre paddocks, with three on one of them. I had someone come in early June and muck both, and just got them done again and it took about seven hours and I pay fairly (he’s very slow, his other clients pay by the job and not the hour but I just can’t make myself do that because I feel like a Scrooge). It would be ever so worth it to pay a few hundred dollars on this thing and then even I would have time to run around the paddocks and then scoop into the trailer. IF it worked like it looks like it might.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=343959257405365&id=104007821400511

3 Likes

That looks cool. I haven’t seen anything like that before.

I think this is Canadian https://riversedgeequestrian.ca/super-scooper/

We had a lawn sweeper, looked something like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinly-Hardy-42-in-6-Brush-High-Speed-Tow-Behind-Lawn-Sweeper-STS-42LXH/205123789?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-028_034_RIDERS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28I-G-D28I-028_034_RIDERS-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000080836946-58700006820157688-92700061594856808&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn6j324P98QIVEXxvBB3gZAeOEAQYEiABEgKXcvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Seemed durable, here is a better one:

A friend took ours once and never brought it back.

2 Likes

It looks like that would be dead easy for someone local to fabricate. Dubious that it works that well unless your pastures are perfectly smooth & even, but worth a try! Contact a welder and see what he says :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Probably easier than hand picking which is what I do

Exactly this. It would be quite easy to make.

Is it strong enough to get poop? The video just shows leaves…

Luckily… they are actually pretty danged smooth!! This is them :wink:

2 Likes

Probably will not last long if it has to do heavy duty regularly.
The hard plastic one may.

Most any welder can make you one of those if you show them a picture?
Lowes has those wheels, I may get the solid metal ones, the rubber ones may not last very long.
We have used these from Tractor Supply:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/titan-casters-8-in-heavy-duty-steel-plate-caster-1-050-lb-capacity-3592006?cm_mmc=feed--GoogleShopping--Product-_-3592006&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ev9iIf-8QIVdG5vBB2t6wV5EAQYASABEgJZH_D_BwE

I’ve reached out to see if they are still in biz, thanks! A little more than I wanna spend but handy with the wheels. Asked a welding friend about it, she said the curved sleds would be hard/expensive and she would do maybe a 35* angle. I can just see that catching, flipping, braining me :joy: AND scattering shit from here to Sunday.

1 Like

Someone offered for me to try one in Florida. It didn’t make sense for my set up but they are clearly available here

Which one? The Canadian store said they will look and give me a quote but the US “Super Scooper” biz quit because it was too expensive to export :cry:

Someone could make one of those really easily for you. Just need some welding know how.

1 Like

I just talked with my pipefitters here, and they said that those sleds aren’t hard at all. Maybe talk to a shop about it?

2 Likes

check the local high school to see if they have a FFA program… it could be made as a shop project

4 Likes

I did ask a welder, she said she would do angled fronts instead of curved so I’m waiting for someone else.

1 Like

FWIW Mr LS noted the curved fronts too and gave me side eye when I asked if he could fabricate it.

If I was seriously pursuing this piece of equipment, my next call would be to a semi local shop with the phrase Metal Bending in the name.

There’s not that much bent metal though, and depending on the gauge it’s not hard. The side pieces are a curved cut, but not bent.

^asked the pipefitters specifically about that part, to try and get more details as to why the difference of opinion. Paraphrased, of course.

Most anyone working with metal today has a plasma cutter of some kind.
With those you can make very fancy cuts, curved ones a walk in the park.

There is not much to fabricating that, or the cost of the materials.
Any one welding shop can make one, just take them pictures.

or a waterjet, either could do compound curves with ease