Unlimited access >

Porta-grazer

It’s $124 at Dover.

Nevermind, apparently it is 124 just for the NET. Soooo . . .

I have a full size bale net, but would have to get a trough.

This is on hold due to BO resistance to an alternate feeding method. Rats.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, my mare has made her opinion of the Porta-Grazer known! If anyone near MD/VA wants to give it a new home, PM me!

2 Likes

I did have one that it made mad enough she would not stop striking at it and I gave that up pretty quickly. But before you give up have you anchored it in a corner? Everyone else liked that to learn and then it’s worked great. Hate to see you lose that much $ without a fight!

1 Like

I have mine hooked to the wall (just with a single screw eye) for two of mine. I will add that my older(20) gelding HATED it when we got it. HATED it. It took him a solid two months to get over it, and he actually loves it now. He’ll go and stand over it waiting for breakfast. My other geldings loved it from the start. I have one tied up, or he’ll trash his bedding pushing it all over the place and then park it smack in the middle so that he has no where to lay down.

The coming 3 year old’s isn’t tied yet because he still likes to stick a foot in it. He has managed, however, to mush it some so it’s very difficult to get the pan out of now. Babies.

1 Like

This is what I use. Holds 5-6 flakes. Not really much cheaper than the Portagrazer.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=cc18b468-1a77-4ef2-8a99-1db772418937&itemguid=0de4a379-fdb8-4da0-aaf6-6ec550bc713c&sfb=1&grp=7000&grpc=7200&grpsc=7210&sp=e&utm_content=26537&ccd=IFH003&gclid=CjwKCAiAleOeBhBdEiwAfgmXf33cZG9E0Cuu-FUSAjmeT_RspP0K6LOx2pSulVS5p-kGPm5ILcct7RoCSl8QAvD_BwE

Ok, trying this link

That’s interesting you say this because I’m watching a fascinating webinar presented by a German vet (Dr. Rikke Shultz) and she just said repetitive motions like hay nets adversely affect the fascia surrounding the muscles being used. I’d been intrigued by Porta Grazers and came right over to COTH to check out what others were saying and plan to order.

I’d already been pondering the “art of slow feeding” and not liking the posture, the probable negative affect on the chewing angles and motion, the head twist and affect on the TMJ and all sorts of other wonderings.

Ideally they are near the ground in grazing chewing motion etc. For those of us gone all day and needing to make the hay last all day it’s tough.

Is the answer Porta Grazers?

1 Like

I like it. I have a big plastic trough just sitting around. Hmmmm. :upside_down_face:

I have them in my barn for almost all the horses and in turn out.

I do think they are way safer than nets.

I do have a lot less hay wastage. A significant amount.

Horses have less issues with neck and posture according to chiro and body workers since switching.

Some struggle for a week or so but then figure it out. I will also say that if I put a loose flake on the ground or on top of the porta grazer the horse usually drop that on the ground and prefer to eat out of the porta grazer. (I THINK because it mimics pulling grass so is more satisfying that way, but of course I don’t know for sure.)

1 Like

I like mine a lot but would recommend buying used if possible. Had a horrid CS experience with the company on brand new products; they would not pay for return shipping on a defective (straight from the carton) drum and when I complained, they sent me a note suggesting:

• I send it back on my dime to see if they agree in person, if so they would refund the purchase price but not the shipping. They also would not send or sell me a replacement because they could not promise it wouldn’t have the same defect.
  • I try to fix if myself, but that if I do, I can no longer return it and they will not be liable for any injury to my horse that may result from the damaged product.
  • p*ssed off, I took to social media about this with screen shots of all the correspondence and the company actually lobbied some cyber bullies to come after me personally.

All this after I purchased 4 new porta grazers in 3 months’ time. My $.02, it’s a nice product but beware the Cavalier company attitude; try and touch before you buy, used or through a local dealer.

2 Likes

I have not been impressed with company interactions either.

I’m not using mine. If anyone is interested; send me a PM and we could work something out. The bucket is in fine condition and have the the 8 and 10 hole pans but both are cracked and I have duct taped around the cracks.

I have no idea the cost to ship something that bulky though, so it may not be worth it from that point.

1 Like

I had three new Porta Grazers and kept them about three days. My barn is close to my house and my horses made so much noise trying to eat out of them it kept me up at night. So much banging! I sold them locally for what I paid and now use small hole hay bags. Hasn’t anyone else had this experience?

1 Like

Mine would bang his around in the stall; our very accommodating boarding mates referred to it as “Charlie was playing his drums”. Mostly when it was empty and he wanted more hay in it.

No not really. My barn is 100’ maybe from my bedroom window.

Now I keep mine tethered. If it’s loose there is banging and rolling. My horse was used to the Porta grazer before I brought him home though. Possibly he went through an adjustment period where he made more noise.

I have one that will bang his around (and it’s tethered) if he’s left in and fed in the morning. The other two leave theirs alone once they are empty.

My solution for Aries was just to unclip it on the mornings he was left in. Got tired of one of the boarders complaining. He’ll push it around but won’t beat the snot out of it.

Uploading: 95270001JFRA366P_2023-02-15-08-33-09.mp4…

Well, figured out how the PortaGrazer is getting squashed (it’s been very difficult to get the pan out for the last month or so).

6 Likes

:rofl:

@Tee that’s hysterical!

I have video of my girl rubbing her belly back on forth of hers. Despite the possible damage I’m quietly proud of her ingenuity :rofl:

1 Like