Unlimited access >

Post 2017 - papers?

Help me out here, as I’m simply ignorant.

I understand they went all digital with the papers stuff. I need my mare’s papers if I’m going to try to get her approved in other breed’s marebooks. What does that mean “post-2017”? Is there a print out somewhere I can find on their website?

You can make a free account through the Jockey Club Registry. When a horse is transferred into your name, you are able to download a digital certificate, which I would assume WB registries would accept.

Edited to add: if your horse was born before 2017, everything is still on paper. This only applies to recently born TBs. I think that’s what you meant, I just wanted to make sure nothing was lost in translation.

They’re refusing to do the transfer. This is where I’m stuck. I just need a copy of her papers, that’s all.

That I can’t speak to, as I haven’t encountered the problem. I imagine it is the equivalent of “losing” the papers if the holder of the current certificate won’t approve the transfer.

If you can call the previous owner, that would be the best solution. You also might try calling the Jockey Club if you haven’t already-- they are more receptive to helping with these issues than they used to be. Even if they can’t do anything, they may be able to offer advice.

Genuine question here: is it not enough that she’s microchipped?

I, too, have a post-2017 mare and I would love to get her approved.

" How do I know if my mare is eligible?

All Jockey Club-registered Thoroughbred mares, registered Arabian mares, and registered Anglo-Arab mares are eligible for breeding approval at an AHS inspection. The original Jockey Club or Arabian papers must be available at the inspection site for your mare to be inspected."

Unfortunately where the JC is concerned, there is no “just” about it.

The JC doesn’t issue duplicate papers unless you have a notarized document from the person who lost them–presumably the previous owner–detailing how they became lost (which needs to be more like “burned up in a fire” than “Put them down somewhere and can’t remember where”.) Until that happens, the JC has no proof that the horse actually belongs to you.

A TB without registration papers cannot be entered in a race. It’s not unusual for TBs to be sold or given away for a second career without their papers so that the new owner doesn’t turn around and try to take the retired horse back to the track.

4 Likes

So trying to dig, it turns out the trainer who had her last died of a heart attack. I’m going to try and use his obit as a way to get a copy.

Not selling on their papers is ridiculous. No other breed registry does that - it devalues the animal.

Was she at the track when that trainer had her? They could still be in the Horseman’s Office with the racing secretary.

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure - I’d guess yes, but then she got a joint infection and ended up at a clinic for a few months. When they brought her back to the track, she wasn’t into that life anymore, so they sent her on.

I can try to call though!

Do you have a bill of sale?

Yes, I do. Along with her chip #.

I think with a bill of sale, you can apply for a duplicate certificate.

1. DUPLICATE CERTIFICATE OF FOAL REGISTRATION
  • A. If a Certificate of Foal Registration has been lost or destroyed, a Duplicate Certificate of Foal Registration may be issued by the Registry Office upon submission of the following:
      1. Payment to The Jockey Club covering the prescribed fee (see Fee Schedule);
      1. A set of four color photographs of the horse (front, both sides, and rear views) clearly showing the color and the markings (or lack of markings) on the head, legs, and body;
      1. A completed and signed Duplicate Certificate form containing the written description of the markings on the horse, including the exact location of the head and neck cowlicks;
      1. A notarized statement from the owner or his authorized agent describing the circumstances under which the Certificate of Foal Registration was lost or destroyed;
      1. Proof of ownership of that specific horse (for example, a bill of sale or cancelled check including the name or pedigree of the horse, date of sale, and the name of the new owner); and
      1. Any further evidence and assurances as The Jockey Club may require, such as Genetic Typing and/or parentage verification.

Update: after a long and drawn out saga, I got her papers in the mail yesterday.

Thanks all.

5 Likes

That is great news!