Post ankle surgery with hardware - now my riding boots hurt! Suggestions?

I’m just starting to ride again since I broke my ankle 8 weeks ago and had to have a plate with screws put in out the outside of my ankle and two screws in the inner ankle bone. My problem is that my paddock boots fit a little too snug right now (ankle is thick and gets some swelling), and my schooling field boots have deep creases around the ankles which now put pressure on the sensitive incision areas/hardware. Ow! I tried padding the ankle bones, but that makes the field boots tight so in the end isn’t much help. Any suggestions from others who have had this problem would be appreciated! Thinking about lace up paddocks, but not sure if boots that need breaking in are a bad idea… TIA

Your swelling will decr with time but for now you could try some “alternative (aka not as safe) footwear” - like tall wellie-like boots, duck boots or for actual riding safe options, the ariat riding sneaker things or if you have $, volants. Otherwise, you could try moleskin or vetwrap over the hardware- both are thin and might give you a little extra cushion.

I have similar hardware. I ended up wearing paddock boots with a zip up the back, elastic gussets and lace up the front. I put on a crew sock, slide a wrist sweatband over that then fold the top of the crew sock down over the sweatband.

It is going to swell. Ice is your friend. Dismounting will be ugly. I used to keep a cooler of icepacks on my mounting block. There were days when I would dismount by the block and ice my ankle before I could walk enough to put my horse away.

I also recommend MDC Ultimate stirrups and Thinline stirrup wraps.

I’ve got 3 month old incision on my ankle, that is also still pretty sensitive. My PT recommended rubbing it with burlap or not so soft cloth to desensitize it. I use an aged bath towel. It seems to be helping. I didn’t deck the PT when he grabbed hold of it last week. A couple time my post-boot ankle brace was doing the same thing. I remembered I had some Lidoderm patches left from another injury, it worked pretty well. Didn’t help with the swelling, but it numbed the incision (nerve) pain.

I’ve got a box of squeezie ice packs for when I ever am allowed back in a barn. Glad you brought this up, I’ve got to start looking for a new pair of boots too.

Thanks so much everyone - these are some very helpful suggestions. I do ice it it a lot, but trying to find something that isn’t too bulky to pad the area with is difficult - sounds like trying on some other boots that might be more adjustable or stretchy would be helpful. And I was wondering about some sort of flex stirrups, but for the time being I’m stuck riding without stirrups so it’s too soon to try out that option.

I have calcium deposits on outside of right ankle bone from surgery to repair torn and displaced tendon. Am ok for riding and very short walks in tall boots and my LLBean boots. Otherwise I put a bandaid over the area and extra socks, for the Bean boots. I wear tall field boots so I can adjust the tightness around my ankle. Someday will consider custom dress boots made for my special ankle. Have been ok for “normal” shoes, flats and heels. Only concern is how the shoe fits near or over my ankle bone.

Listen to your DR and PT during this healing time. My surgery was 30+ years ago and I am very lucky to have minimum impact.

Happy and clean healing for you ankle folks.

A friend had a similar injury and used breast feeding pads that you put in your bra as a thin padding to protect the site.

I had issues with my ankle with and without the hardware. It was awful.

I bought different riding shoes/boots. Pronto.

Also had full leather half chaps cause me alot of pain. Bought new ones pronto.

The creases are what killed me on both. Pads will not help.

I got ariat half chaps which have a soft suede, side zip. Got ariat Terrain’s for riding, lace up, but also have the zip, and prefer the lace ups. The zip is just kinda hard to get my foot in(you have to move it this way and that way then they seemed loose on my foot), the lace up, easy and comfy.

I have also used my asaics running shoes with my terrain half chaps. Works. You have to go for what will work with your previous broken, or still broken areas. Things are different and they may be like this for ever. Mine was. But, hey, lots of footware out there, get something new for your new to you ankle and get riding! I did.