Post-op recovery time?

Hi all, I had major lower abdominal surgery in late April, with another out-patient surgery two weeks later. So I’m about 4 months post-op. I am doing really well, and my doctor has released me from any restrictions and care. I am back to riding (at a walk), but trotting still makes me sore, I think because it shakes things around a bit. For those of you who had similar surgery, what was your timeline for getting back to riding as usual? My doctor doesn’t “do” horses, he thinks they are fire-breathing dragons, so he’s not been much help in the advice department.

Thanks!

nurse asks…

Was it lap or open excision.? Big difference but in general; if it hurts…don’t do it!! :winkgrin: Expect soreness to gradually disappear. Sounds like you’re right on track. Don’t overdo it! Take your time. Listen to your body!

Thank you, nurse. :slight_smile: It was open, not lap. Yeah, I figured a tincture of time would fix it eventually. I was hoping to be a little farther along by now, but I am soooo grateful I didn’t have any of the potential “issues” attendant with this surgery. Onward, then!