Unlimited access >

Post pregnancy - seat saver?

I’m 7 months pregnant and thankfully still riding, but am starting to think ahead about riding in the months following giving birth. For those who have returned to riding, did a cozy seat saver on your saddle help? I have high quality saddles that are well padded, but was thinking that something like the Mattes seat cover may be comfortable.

I’m open to any thoughts or just general suggestions regarding returning to riding.

TIA!

I have no personal experience but my friend has has 3 children. She has not used a seat saver after any of them. She returned to riding fairly quickly after all 3 in a dressage saddle. She is an eventer. Her youngest is 9 months old and she had done 1 schooling event and 3 rated events this summer already. Lots of dressage and a number of jumping lessons.

I used a Christ Lammfelle seat save for another reason a few years ago and it is really nice and plush. However because of that it may change the fit of the saddle a bit. I had lost 90 pounds and was swimming in the saddle. While my custom saddle was being made I used the lambskin seat saver to take up some of that room so I wasn’t as loose in the saddle.

It just depends on how delivery goes for you. With my first I tore badly and couldn’t ride (at all) for several months, despite the fact that I had ridden up to the day before I gave birth. With my second I was back on a horse and riding 3 days after giving birth. No need for a seat saver and no real discomfort at all.