Posting trot, legs shaking

I had my second riding lesson (after 6 years off from lesson) and we practiced posting trot (at a walk) for the first time I’ve ever did it

I noticed towards the end (maybe after 20 minutes?) I started having trouble rising because my legs were shaking. Is this something that just takes practice to go away? Anything I can do at home to strengthen that?

1 Like

Totally normal. Your body is way out of practice for that movement. Something you can do at home is sit down in a low chair. Now stand back up using only your legs. Make a point of doing that in sets of reps, like 3 sets of 10 or whatever.
Plus, practicing at a walk is much harder than doing it at a trot, where the horses’ thrust propels you up and forward. I also think you might have had your legs too far in front of you, that would make it more strenuous to stand up repeatedly.

5 Likes

Wait so you were posting but at a walk? That would make most anyone’s legs tired since there’s no motion/ rhythm to help you out

12 Likes

Yes she wanted to practice at a walk because I can only do a few strides of trot right now (very bouncy horse almost pony sized)

That is cruel and unusual punishment of anyone let alone an adult who’s been off a horse for more than 2 weeks :frowning:

Can you ask for a longe lesson with the horse in properly adjusted side reins? That should reduce the bounciness and allow you to trot.

Failing that, find somewhere else with school ponies who are made for the job. It’s a thing - my horse would fail out of a school pony career in 2 lessons or fewer because if you don’t have ALL the skills, she’s going to bounce you right out of the tack and laugh at you while she’s doing it. That might be barely productive for an intermediate rider you’re trying to push to the next level, but absolutely counterproductive and possibly dangerous for someone who’s not been riding for a while.

ETA - muscles shaking are telling you that you are relying WAY to much on muscles and they are TIRED and beyond the point of learning. This is not your fault. This is because there is not enough forward movement in the walk and not enough lift to help you use your balance instead of sheer muscle power.

7 Likes

These are lesson horses, this one in particular just has a very very bouncy trot (another horse I’ve ridden there didn’t) I’m not sure if they lunge but it wouldn’t hurt ask at my next lesson

1 Like

Posting at the walk is a “once around the ring” thing. 20 minutes of that is waaaay too much for either human or equine.

It would be way more effective to trot 10 steps, take a break, trot 10 more, break, etc, and slowly increase that number over time while also decreasing walk steps in between.

14 Likes

It sounds like hard labour - and not particularly helpful for a returning adult. Big step, but maybe find someone who understands how to teach better? Some things work for children that don’t suit adults and vice versa.

3 Likes

Or just ask if you can ride the other horse in your lessons until your balance and endurance are reestablished enough for the bouncier horse.

1 Like

That’s hard work! Maybe not how some would do it, but I wouldn’t switch trainers over just this. I agree that it might not be fair to the horse depending on how it was done, but it really isn’t something we can decide on the internet.

Lunges, squats, and stair climbing work many of the same muscles.

1 Like

i ride 4 horses a day, 6 days a week, and I think if i posted at the walk for 20 mins, my legs would shake also.

9 Likes

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s not fair to the horse?

It’s not fair to the student! Not one bit. It’s not a good way of teaching the posting trot at all.

2 Likes

Yes, someone did say it wasn’t fair to human or equine. Someone slamming up and down on the horse’s back at any gait isn’t fair. I’m not saying this was what OP was doing!

Posting at the walk is a great exercise to build strength - perhaps OP’s trainer is seeing a specific reason to do it. 20 minutes straight of posting the walk and nothing else would be very boring and repetitive to me, though!

Oh you poor dear.
Shoot me in the face if a trainer ever asked me to post at the walk for 20 straight minutes. Even when I was actively riding 10 rides (two horses) a week and fit for jumping 4’6". I would dismount and walk out.

Do lots of squats at home. The ones that go super low/deep and strengthen the thighs. Not the ones where you stick your booty out to grow your glutes.

3 Likes