Unlimited access >

Potential tack issue, but not sure where

It’s a monoflap saddle. Quite common with eventers and some show jumpers.

2 Likes

Yup! Got it.

It’s a Bliss Loxley Monoflap - probably the comfiest saddle I’ve ever sat in. The girth is a dressage girth because I was too poor to buy a new girth and new saddle at the same time, but I can’t imagine the color makes much difference! I think they work the same. I’ve actually got a jump girth in the mail coming later this week.

The breastplate should attach above the girth keeper on the saddle pad, if possible. The breastplate attachment is too low imo. Put your girth through it, before putting it through the saddle pad keeper.

4 Likes

The saddle is a monoflap. It does not work that way.

I know, but its hard to see where the billets split in the photo. It can be attached much higher regardless, which is how the 5 point is meant to be worn.

1 Like

It appears that the chest strap is interfering with the horse’s shoulder. I think regardless of the mono flap the whole thing needs to be higher. I don’t have a five-point breastplate but I think you need to move the dee ring with the sheepskin closer to his withers so that the strap that goes from there to the center of his chest lies above his scapula. That would also move the girth attachment point higher up.

1 Like

The breast plate looks like an HDR 5 point, which would mean only the buckle ends are adjustable. The rest is elastic and should stretch well.

He does look like he’s really active with his shoulders! I’m not sure what I’d do if he were mine, he clearly needs a plate of some kind.

Can’t you put the billets through the breastplate loop then put the billets through the saddle pad keeper?

If the saddle pad is long enough, sure. In this case it does not look like there is much distance between the bottom of the saddle and the bottom of the pad.

Agree with everyone the breastplate is sitting too low. In particular the sheepskin part needs to be higher and more forward.

For me the question becomes whether there is a fit and placement issue from the get-go, and this picture is just highlighting it. Or whether during the course of the ride, and in particular the jumping effort, things are shifting. It could partly be that your saddle is slipping and the breastplate is doing all it can to “hang on”, but it’s hard to say from one photo. It should, however, be pretty clear to you if the saddle is in the same place at the end of the ride as where you put it on. It could just be the strap from plate to billet is sliding down as you ride. Any chance you have a photo of him freshly tacked up?

1 Like

Your horse is adorable.

The eventing forum might be able to give you better advice about how to fit the breastplate so that the strap stays in place on a monoflap saddle, since that equipment is more common in that discipline. I agree that that’s the problem but I’m not sure how to change it with the equipment you have to hand.

Is the girth tight?

Do you know that there are recent studies that show a breastplate negtively affect a horse’s jumping form-it shortens the landing arc.

1 Like

As an added measure to keep the saddle in place, I love the Gel-Ez pads (grippy pad that goes under the saddle pad). I too have this problem with my mare!

The Butet rep recently told me that if a saddle slips back, putting the girth on the last two billet straps (assuming you have 3), will help keep it in place. I’ve tried and noticed a slight difference, but nothing like WOW that worked.

I ALSO have a professional choice girth that seems grippy.

That’s all I’ve got. Best of luck!

Wow! Lots of replies while I was at work!

I’m not replying to each individually, but here goes.

Yes, this is the HDR collar. The sheepskin can’t be moved up or down, but I can change the length of the straps that attach to the d rings, girth, and under the belly and there’s a lot of elastic that has a pretty good stretch.

The girth can’t go above the girth keeper - not enough room. I can try tying the strap to the keeper though, to see if that helps.

At the start of every ride, the strap is as high as it can go. It shifts down over the ride. The saddle doesn’t move while riding, unless I take the collar off or use a 3 point - that usually results if having to get off several times to fix it.

Girth is tight, and I only have 2 billets.

I’ve not heard that it can effect jump form - but looking at the picture, I’m not surprised. He doesn’t seem to mind it as much as the saddle slipping would though. Not even the gel sticky pads are enough.

Here’s some pictures - https://imgur.com/a/MqJkDhO. There’s the original image, one immediately post ride with the saddle and everything in the same spot as when I started, and one showing how the monoflap prevents the “usual” placing.

Here’s some video - to give a better idea of how he moves. He is pretty athletic and has fairly decent form, I wonder if he’s just too “big” for this type of collar. https://youtu.be/pQDou5yWpn0

It could be that you need a less-elastic breastplate. I have to use girths without any elastic on my very round ponies because it doesn’t matter how snug I make them, the “give” allows the saddle to move.

I understand it feels better to have some stretch but it MAY never work for a horse with this much athleticism. If I were you I would experiment with some different options. (I do understand $$$$, but maybe you can borrow some different styles from barn mates or others friends.)

1 Like

Is the breastplate holding the saddle in place? If so the saddle needs help.

I was going to mention this too…this breastplate in particular.

After reading the research I switched to a jumper breastplate, like the one in the pic attached. Honestly, maybe its placebo but it does seem like my girls jump better in it.

3 Likes

Yes to this post! I would try a different type of breastplate, and this model (the breastcollar) was my first thought. I ride pretty much exclusively with eventers and what I’ve seen is that the five-points have to be adjusted perfectly or they interfere, and even then some horses just don’t like them.

My friend’s 2* horse has a big shoulder and big movement and the breastcollar pictured above is the only one he goes well in.

1 Like

The breastcollar only really “touches” the saddle over fences. It stays in place on the flat, but I never flat around in it - if I’m flatting, I’m in a dressage saddle, if I’m jumping, I need the collar. He just moves so much over a jump, the saddle doesn’t really have a chance.

I’ll look into the different version! I think a friend might have one I can borrow.

From the jumping shot, it looks like your saddle flap is right behind his shoulder, which is where it should be. In some horses, the shoulder lays way back. We are leasing such a horse. If you put the saddle where people are used to seeing it, his shoulder will move it back where it’s out of the way. Thus, we get comments that the saddle is “too far back” but it’s not. Farther forward and it’s on his shoulder, and who wants that?

2 Likes