Potomac fever - update- she is gone

I’m so very sorry for your loss :pensive:

1 Like

Just as an aside, my vets and I decided to titer antibodies before we gave more vaccinations since my horse was in a place where he was colicing after them. He had had a recent PHF injection but after about 30 days the blood titer showed no evidence at all that he had ever had a vaccine.

7 Likes

I’m so terribly sorry that you lost her. You made the right decision to end her suffering. Holding you close in my thoughts. [[[HUGS]]]

:cry:

Hugs {{{{{{@Seagram}}}}}} from Colorado.

I am so sorry for your loss

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs.

So awful! That really sucks, I’m sorry!

Thank you for sharing that interesting information!

1 Like

I’m so sorry you lost your mare.

Is there a map showing the distribution of PHF? Or is it relatively uncommon? Are there ways to prevent it? I’m honestly not that familiar with it.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/digestive-system/infectious-diarrheal-diseases-in-horses/potomac-horse-fever#Diagnosis_v3263548

I have been unsuccessful finding maps other than state specific maps, so you will have to search for a map for your state to see the locations there.

3 Likes

Here’s a national map (you can add Canada if you want) to do a deep dive into. Just choose “Potomac Horse Fever” on the first pull-down menu and fill in the other parameters. Interestingly, as of today, it is showing zero cases of PHF so far this year. I believe it relies for its statistics on individual states’ reporting of cases to the EDCC, which may make it a bit hit-or-miss.

https://equinediseasecc.org/alerts

2 Likes

Five years ago next month, my then 21-year-old draft-cross mare – who lived out 24/7 – went off her feed for a couple of days (very uncharacteristically for her). The vet came out, took her temp (slightly elevated, I think) and a blood sample, and called me a few hours later to tell me she was in kidney failure. I immediately hauled her up to the vet hospital, where the docs did more blood tests and a rectal exam. By this time she had moderate diarrhea and a somewhat higher (though not crazy-high) temp. The diagnosis was colitis of unknown origin, and she was put in a quarantine stall, on an IV drip (for hydration) and in standing wraps. Through a series of mishaps, it took almost 10 days for the PCR results to come back, during the first week of which time she ate almost nothing at all. Then, on day 8 or so, she surprised us by turning a corner: her fever broke, she perked up a little, and she regained some of her appetite. She was given no antibiotics because the cause of the colitis was still unidentified. The PCR results, when they finally came in, shocked us by being positive for Potomac Horse Fever and for secondary Salmonella. Hers was one of only two cases of PHF in Massachusetts that year, and her tough-as-nails Alpha-mare immune system kicked it to the curb all by itself! She’s now 26 and still living out, cranky as ever but nonetheless the queen of all she surveys. (And by the way, since then I’ve vaccinated religiously for PHF, which I had never done before. Just last year there was another case, this one fatal, less than a mile from our barn. That horse was unvaccinated.)

8 Likes

Just had two horses this weekend go off their feed unexpectedly and generally act a little lethargic. No fever and no diarrhea. One bounced back after 24 hours and the other is still not eating (about 40 hours in). Vet was out to draw blood today on second horse. They just moved to a new pasture near a pond. Any chance of PHF, or unlikely if no diarrhea and fever? There are a couple of other horses in their turn out who seem totally fine. They all eat the same feed and hay. This happened right after they moved to a new field. New field was formerly a hay field and is nicely mowed

I would NOT WAIT on testing results. I would have Vet IMMEDIATELY start the tetracycline treatments!! Our Vet used a nose tube,to get the med in the horse, someone above mentioned shots which I had not heard of before.

Our two who got PHF were treated within a couple hours of noticing them being “off.” One was pooping clear liquid after seeing normal poop, solid, green, two hours before. The other horse ignored breakfast, VERY unusual for him! With other cases of PHF in the neighborhood, trainer called the vet immediately and they started treatment. No waiting on testing results for either horse. Better to start dosing than to wait too long in starting treatment!

Both horses recovered well, never stopped eating and drinking which is crucial in good recovery. They liked their Calf Manna when they really didn’t want to eat grain or much hay. I had not fed Calf Manna since my childhood, but Vet recommended it! Said sick horses will eat it when they won’t eat anything else. Still has that special smell!

This was two separate incidents, horses in two different places, different years. No other horses on either farm got PHF.

PHF is very fast acting, waiting to treat seems to make recovery harder or impossible. Our Vets see cases every year, have a good success rate with treating horse early

2 Likes

What a shock, to have that come on so suddenly. I’m so very sorry for your loss; she was a lucky girl, to have had such good care and to be able to pass from this world in peace. Big hug for you during this sad time.

I asked my vet, when she first came out, and immediately suggested PHF, about blood test for it, and she said we could do it, but recommended starting treatment right away, because by the time she would have gotten the results, it would probably be too late.
The biggest clue for us was the not eating and the lethargy. When I first took her temperature, after I called to get the vet out, she was fine. 37.5. By the time the vet came, she had spiked quite high, I think it was over 39? And she had started to have diarrhea. So I wouldn’t wait for the blood test, for sure. I’m not even that close to a water way, although my neighbor has a large pond across the street. I didn’t even know how a horse could catch Potomac. It’s a crazy life cycle for that particular bacteria.
The oxyvet was an IV shot, which perhaps if my mare had gotten it sooner, might have had a different result. I’ll never know.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss, and I appreciate the information! This has been very informative as I did not know how it presents, what carries it, or that it is in my area. I feel much more attuned. I am so sorry that you had to go through it.

1 Like

I hope your horses are doing ok.