Unlimited access >

Potomac fever - update- she is gone

So my mare just stopped eating out of the blue (she is usually a piggy), and other symptoms that my vet thinks lead to PHF. I don’t know what to think. My vet is awesome, said worse case euth should be on the table. I’m just kinda shattered. She is not a heart horse, I lost that one a couple years ago and have never bounced back, but I like her.
I have no idea what i’m asking here, maybe just some sympathy and other people who have gone through this.
I’m just so tired of horses breaking my heart.

12 Likes

Hugs and jingles. I don’t have anything useful to add, I’m sorry.

1 Like

Fluids can make or break Potomac recovery. Jingles for a complete recovery

4 Likes

Is he treating your horse? Tetracycline (sp?) is the preferred treatment locally. The earlier horse gets on the meds, usually the easier the recovery. Keep horse eating and drinking as much as possible so they don’t lose any muscle. My Vet advised feeding Calf Manna, because horses seem to eat it when nothing else works.

We have had two PHF cases that were caught very early, both recovered very well, never quit eating and drinking. Separate cases, years apart. No other horses on the farm got sick.

A horse we sold recently had her new pasture mate die from PHF. Horse was older, not correctly diagnosed in time for swift treatment at the board barn… New owner is petrified horse will get it! We told her various signs to look for, then call Vet immediately to start treating horse if she sees any of them. No news is good news!

Good luck with your horse and recovery.

3 Likes

Jingles for your horse!

I have known several horses who were successfully treated and recovered without issue.

1 Like

She is getting Oxyvet shots, which is a form of tetracycline and banamine. I’m hoping we caught it early enough, I thought she was colicking, when she wouldn’t touch her food. Usually she is a piggy.
She just looked so miserable, and was lying down a lot. It came on so fast. She seemed perfectly fine the day before the symptoms started.
When I took her temperature this morning, it is back to normal, and she kept trying to walk away from me. I took that as a good sign that there is some improvement.

Prompt treatment is key for a good outcome, as many, many horses have proven. The fact that she’s making headway so soon is a good sign!

Are you checking leg pulse a couple times a day? Laminitis is a complication you want to avoid (obviously), so some time spent with cold soaks is a good idea as well.

1 Like

I am so sorry.

Vet came out this afternoon for a re-check, she had gone severely down hill since after this morning’s positive check, and banamine dose.
Elevated heart rate, pulse, respiratory system, extreme swelling in the throat latch and above eyes,
etc… Obviously suffering, I didn’t have much of a choice but to make the call.
I will miss her pushy, miss TB mare attitude.

47 Likes

I’m so sorry. What a horrible shock. My heart goes out to you. :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I am so sorry you lost your mare.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Sending virtual hugs.

1 Like

I am so sorry. There is no easy way to say goodbye but the progression sounds so upsetting and dramatic. It sounds like you made such a hard call but served as her advocate and voice.

1 Like

Oh no, I’m SO very sorry :cry:

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss Seagram.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Hugs and jingles to you.

1 Like

So sorry

1 Like

I’m so very sorry for your loss :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you completely, Seagram. :cry: :broken_heart:

1 Like

I’m so very sorry for your loss. Many hugs

1 Like