Unlimited access >

Powder coating stirrup irons?

A few years ago I got some black stirrups (MDC Ultimate Stirrups, not cheap) and the black coating is wearing off. They look shabby!

I wondered if a quick sandblast and powder coating would revive them? I doubt black spray paint would last more than a couple rides. Anyone done that successfully?

(I recently for Lorenzinis and bought the silver color to avoid this issue again… guess what? Starting to show wear marks… GAH)

Any coating (aka paint, powder coating) will wear off. However, high quality powder coating is reliant on the lack of porosity and the surface prep of the underlying steel or aluminum. Without know what the ally is for the MDC stirrups as well as the previous process to surface finish it would be tough to say how well it will turn out.

Realize, it isn’t just sandblasting. You need to etch the surface and prep it using a variety of acids to remove even the smallest metal oxide layer to improve the polymer binding.

1 Like

Allegedy they’re stainless steel under the coating. Hopefully my local auto powder coating place will do a good prep job - has to be worth a try!

Reading this on their website now…

" PLEASE NOTE - THE POWDER COATED FINISH OF OUR BLACK STIRRUPS IS NOT AS LONG LASTING AS OUR STAINLESS STEEL MODELS.

To keep your MDC Black Ultimate Stirrups® in optimal show condition, we highly suggest having an everyday working pair in stainless steel. Contact MDC for details."

1 Like