Unlimited access >

Power Recliners and Cats

Bad idea?

OK combination?

My bad shoulder is having more and more problems working the lever on our old recliner, and the kind that you have to close up with your legs are too hard on my old legs and back.

My more-elderly friends keep recommending them – but they don’t have cats.

I have one that I bought from my dad’s estate. It no longer works but when it did I had no issues with it and the cats. It reclines fairly slowly so they have time to get away from it.

Mine jump out of the way when they hear the mechanism starting. My husband has a huge THWAPBANG recliner chair that once he hits that spring it goes off like a rat trap. Our cats steer way clear of that thing but if we had a kitten I would live in constant fear. The slow audible brrrrrr of the automatic is MUCH better! I hit the button once to scatter the crowd and then finish it with one hand on the trigger ready to reverse, but have never needed to. If you were really proactive obsessive, as I fully admit I can be, you can put a little scat mat under the chair so they just won’t go there.

I know someone that lost a kitten in a thwapbang recliner and I have lived in fear of that since always.

4 Likes

I have one and my mom, who lives with me, has a power lift chair. 2 cats…0 problems. When my Dad was alive, we had to watch the dog because she would lay at the base of the chair with her head UNDER the chair when it was up. They never got the dog…the chairs move fairly slow and she got out of the way.

Susan

Thank you all very much. :slight_smile:
I was wondering about the risk of a kitty electrocuting itself if sharpening its claws on a plugged-in chair, as well as the possibilities of other injuries.
I have one cat and just about always know where she is, thank goodness.

OnAMission, I was really sorry to read about your kitten.

1 Like

Thankfully not my kitten, it was a friend’s but a bad story all the same.

My cat Suzie can attest that a cat can safely claw on a plugged in chair. The wires are in the middle of the couch kind of like the seat in a car, no risk to a cat. I had to put double sided tape on the edge of mine to keep Sooz from clawing it though!

I think you will enjoy your new chair :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much, @OnAMission OnAMission! :slight_smile: ^. .^

Some of the swankier models have sensors to prevent this exact problem (haven’t actually tried one though to judge sensitivity)—might be worth the upgrade.

4 Likes

Hi! What chair exactly did you purchase finally? What about your experience and recommendations after this time? We got 2 cats and thinking about lift chairs atm(from this list for example)
Thanks in advance1

1 Like

I’m not the person you asked, but the chair we got for my dad is an Ashley. It has simple controls and he has dementia + poor vision, so it’s a good fit. Won’t recline into zero gravity or anything that fancy. The medical equipment store chairs are more expensive but will recline in far more ways and angles and combinations of footrest and back. But, we were told there is at least a 36 week wait for anything special ordered. LazyBoys are even longer, like 5 months or more. The Ashley was bought off the floor at a local furniture store and cost almost $1000 delivered. The backs come off, similar to LazyBoy, so it’s easier to transport and move from one room to another. We have two cats, one age 18 and one age 10 or so. They have never had any interest in that chair.

2 Likes

Is that Ashley Furniture Home Store? They have some nice furniture.

Hi, I’m sorry for the delay. I’ve just now seen your question. I ended up not buying a recliner at all, because I found a nice lesson barn and decided to take some riding lessons instead!

1 Like

An elderly couple where I work had two toy poodles and a recliner. One of the dogs got his ear ripped off his head when he somehow got it stuck in the chair; he was rushed to the vet and stitched together without the ear. However, he was in so much pain the put him down shortly after.

Maybe cats are a bit more clever.

I recently sat in a Stressless recliner. It was heavenly…and over $3000!

https://shop.stressless.com/en/c/recliners Looks like something Frasier would have in his apartment.

It does look like it would go well in his apartment. :slight_smile:

I was very very sorry to read about the couple’s Poodle.
All in all, I think it was better for my cat that I spent my recliner money on riding lessons instead. She got to stay home in peace and have the bed all to herself, and some intriguing smells to sniff when I came home and let her inspect my boots and breeches!

Now I am saving what’s left of my recliner-riding money for an out-of-town move, back to my cat’s hometown. Thank goodness she is a good traveler.
^. .^

I think it is bad idea…