Unlimited access >

Powerchair/Wheelchair Spinoff

Do any of you know where to look for an affordable power wheelchair? I have a friend who has COPD and recurring hip pain (one hip replacement; the other her own but 70+ years old).

Medicare will not cover the cost of a power chair unless it is needed for mobility in the person’s home, and my friend’s apartment is not an accessible unit.

I contacted a COPD website but they didn’t have much info so I was grabbing at straws until I read the other thread here about powerchairs for outdoor, farm use.

Try Facebook Marketplace. I searched power wheelchair, and stopped counting at 15 for sale ads. Prices were $500 to $10,000. Perhaps a mobility scooter would work. They are very readily available on the used market at low cost.

1 Like

I broke my ankle in September and we bought a Zinger on Craig’s list for $1K. It was a lifesaver for me. It’s very easy to drive and quite comfortable and small enough to be portable.

1 Like

I don’t know where you are located but check with your state health dept of disabilities - Maryland has a loaner program for assistive technologies
such as power scooters/wheelchairs.

1 Like

Thank you. I will check ours.

1 Like

Thank you. Looks good!

I would call around to some of the online stores and local retailers in your area. I was able to find a used power wheelchair for my wife at a quarter of the price. They typically refurb them before they sell them again so there are some potential good deals out there.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion! We have one medical-supply store here and one in the next town, so I can try calling them.