Unlimited access >

PPE - mild radiograph finding

Yes I’m working with my vet and trainer but ultimately no one can make the decision for me and I cant decide with what I have.

Fell in love with 17.2 5 yo Oldenburg. Very little mileage, has been with breeder all his life and allowed to mature slowly, amazing brain, no vices. He was unfit and green but felt amazing immediately. Very even both directions, right side was a little weaker through canter transition but no swapping once he had it. Intentions are to be my long term AO horse

PPE - flexions were fine, mild reactivity to SI palpations, vet noted a slight toe drag but declared sound. Totally clean leg X-rays, neck and back revealed 1 singular thoracic process that was tight.

I’m now over thinking my decision. Only note worthy behavior is he was girthy when being saddled. But was very willing and happy to work. Was very much being ridden on a loose rein most of the time I believe. He was very responsive to taking contact and moving forward when I tried him however.

Any opinions?

I think you have to ask yourself if you think you’ll find a horse you enjoy more who has better radiographs. If the answer is yes, perhaps keep looking. If the answer is probably not, and the horse is priced such that you feel comfortable doing any maintenance on him he needs, I’d go for it. As long as he looks clinically good, in my experience there’s lots of therapy and training you can do to help a horse like this get better and stronger. Good luck and enjoy!

4 Likes

Find a crystal ball. I don’t know how many horses you have PPE’d but the only perfect ones are the ones you don’t look at too closely. For me, this would be a bargaining chip but not a deal breaker. And knowing about it now is better than finding out about it down the road. If I really liked the horse I would go ahead - probably make a slightly reduced offer. If I wasn’t 100% sure this was the right horse, this would tip the scales to no. Tough decisions.

7 Likes

I do love everything about him. I’ve been searching for a while and have been patient. He’s my ideal in every other way. Especially for my budget. :pleading_face:

6 Likes

If that’s the case then I’d make a slightly lower offer and know that I may need to do maintenance on him down the line.

6 Likes

I’d buy him. I think radiographs have over complicated purchases and have created more doubt and confusion than actual answers in many cases. Simply stated, we still do not have a good understanding of kissing spine and other abnormalities of the back. There are many horses who have competed successfully at upper levels who would have failed xray findings, including findings involving the spine. I find how the horse is maintained and trained to be more critical than a lot of abnormalities found on xray.

If the horse is already priced very fairly, I may not go this route. It depends on if the offer would offend the seller. Also, even a horse without any xray findings will be theoretically expected to require maintenance at some point due to simple wear and tear. It isn’t always accurate to assume there will be problems down the road and a need for maintenance due to a radiograph finding.

11 Likes

Large 5yo WB most likely isn’t done growing in the back. This could be a good thing or a bad thing for you. But at least you would know about this from the start. Given the location I would be meticulous about saddle fit (which may not be any fun at all for growing and filling out baby WB, ask me how I know!) and doing core exercises. If he seems pretty willing to work in a down and out or lifted frame and isn’t too inclined to invert, you could probably work with this. At the end of the day, you just never know with horses, especially the big young ones, and it winds up being what you think you can tolerate as far as risk considering the options in your budget.

2 Likes

Thank you for this! To your second part, I agree. The seller is very confident in the horse she has and hasn’t budged with trials, price etc.

I very much had to decide if I’m going for it 100% or not and I’ve decided to just do it! I’m very confident in my ability to get him working “correctly” and really develop his top line and core. Massage, Chiro, saddle fit are all things I’m a believer in already and now know to be extra diligent.

I got scared for a second but I’m beyond excited to call this guy my own. 30th birthday present to myself and my come back after a few years off from owning. I lost my dad suddenly in December and decided then that life is short and can be cut short so what am I waiting for!

34 Likes

Pictures, please!

1 Like

Good for you! I wish you a long and happy riding partnership together.

3 Likes

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And, yes, pics are required!

3 Likes

To make you feel better I bought one with 2 grade 2 findings on his back, off of old x-rays, and we xrayed over a year later and they actually looked better, and it has never bothered him one time. We have to work harder at hind end strengthening, but it’s been a non issue. Congratulations!!

4 Likes

ALL horse should get maintenance down the line. This shouldn’t ever be used as a bargaining chip.

5 Likes

Thank you everyone! This actually did help me a ton. I knew that if anyone was going to tell me it was a tragic idea, it would be a horse forum :joy:

I feel good about my decision and all possibilities for the future. I really really loved spending time with him and riding him.

Here he is as a babe but really shows off his sweet expression. And then the picture I have of when I tried him. We’ll be getting shaped up and shined up together! IMG_1254|553x500

10 Likes

19 Likes

Chrome City! :star_struck:

1 Like

Agreed, I should have worded my post differently.

1 Like

He is lovely and I’m excited for you both!

1 Like

He’s a good size for you also. Well done!

1 Like

Ooh, look at that face!! Congratulations to all!

1 Like