Unlimited access >

PPE thoracic finding

Yes I’m working with my vet and trainer but ultimately they can’t make the decision for me and I cant decide.

Fell in love with 17.2 5 yo Oldenburg. Very little mileage, has been with breeder all his life and allowed to mature slowly, amazing brain, no vices. He’s unfit and green but felt amazing immediately into working him. Very even both directions, right side was a little weaker through canter transition but no swapping once he had it. Intentions are to be my long term 3’-3’3 AO horse

PPE - flexions were fine, mild reactivity to SI palpations, vet noted a slight hind toe drag but declared sound. Totally clean leg X-rays, neck and back revealed 1 singular thoracic process that was tight.

I’m now over thinking my decision. Only note worthy behavior is he was girthy when being saddled. But was very willing and happy to work. Has been ridden on a loose rein most of the time I believe. He was very responsive to taking contact and moving forward when I tried him. My mind is playing major tug of war. He’s everything I’ve been looking for, horses are unpredictable no matter what but no I don’t want to be impulsive and set myself up for failure.

Any opinions?

“When in doubt, don’t” is what I have always heard.

5 that is unfit and green, that means what you have now is not what you will have once in real work.
May be same, better or a less pleasant surprise.

Cinchy would be a negative for me as a personal horse or a project horse unless a super horse.
Why start with such unpleasant quirks/problems, close to stall kicker, doesn’t tie, stall/fence walker, cribber, weaver?

If you can’t decide, what does your trainer think, with deep experience of how such situations can progress?
There are no perfect horses out there, is he close enough for you?
Any crystal ball leases around there?

That is a nice problem to have, a horse you really like and not 100% sure will be what you want?
You are half way there. :innocent:

5 Likes

Did the vet share any implications about the thoracic process being tight?

The cinchy-ness might give me a little pause like @Bluey mentioned. Saddle fit? Ulcer prone? Doesn’t really wanna work? Related to the thoracic? Those are my first thoughts.

With that said, any new horse is a gamble; some moreso than others. If the vet thinks he has reasonable potential for your goals aside from the PPE findings with him, that would hold some weight for me.

I bought my mare as a 5 year old with a “close” spinous process. Which kinda freaked me out as my previous horse had kissing spine, but my vet told me it should not be an issue. To date, it has not caused any problems whatsoever and she is now almost 13. In fact, she’s a gorgeous mover and works over her back like nobody’s business. We do dressage in case this matters to you.

And she is also girthy. Always has been. I have developed a protocol on how to manage that. :slight_smile:

She is also an Oldenburg, for what it’s worth. What’s the horse’s lineage? I’d be interested to see if there’s any commonality. PM if you’d rather not put too much identifying info here.

3 Likes

Thank you all. Trainer is saying go for it as long as vet say ok. Vet says there is some risk as there is with every horse and she has to acknowledge that. However, it’s not a tragic finding and there’s many “treatment” options now if we needed them.

The horse is exactly what I’ve been looking for otherwise. Which is making this very difficult.

This is nice to hear! Sire is G line. Dam sire is Alla’Czar.

That is exactly my worry. I’m happy to hear you went through with it even with KS experience and haven’t regretted it!

Interesting! My mare’s dam side is the G line. Wonder if there are other G line babies with this conformation.

1 Like

Our two Alla Czars were lovely movers and pretty over a fence. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think @Bluey made a good point: This is a young, unfit, green horse that isn’t yet in regular work, so it is a bit more of a gamble than having the same findings on a horse that was already doing the level of work you desire, and staying sound.

Personally, I’ve found that there’s nothing worse than having anxiety about my horse’s soundness every time I go to ride. Been in that movie. I finally came to accept that owning a horse is always a delicate dance with potential disaster.

Ultimately, this is a decision you have to make for yourself, and be comfortable with it. But since there’s no perfect horse, if you like this one, and you’ve consulted with the vet and your trainer, I’d probably buy him. But I’d be fully aware of emphasizing saddle fit and accepting that maybe— maybe— he’ll need some sort of maintenance down the road.

5 Likes

I would probably think about getting a second opinion on the films from the radiology dept of the vet school or from a Board Cer Radiologist. Just an economical choice for more information

5 Likes

OP do you have rads farther back? Or is this the only view you took? If he has more questionable spots farther back, I would PERSONALLY pass. BTDT, supporting the 12yo retiree about it.

Assuming that one spot is the extent of it, if the price is right and you like the horse, buy him. Just realize resale may be difficult, and you’ll likely need to be proactive with perfect saddle fit and bodywork. Also, you will need to have a RIDICULOUSLY meticulous farrier, there is likely very little tolerance for poor internal angles for this horse, especially behind. Hoof X-rays may be a regular investment for you to make sure. If you stay ahead of these things, he is likely to be okay!

That said, the SI and toe drag would actually worry me more - it is certainly more of a gamble with an unfit horse. Again, for the right price, I’d not run the other way immediately, but I would be proactive with fitness and monitor his comfort levels closely.

3 Likes

If you are happy to see his face over the stall door and support him for the rest of the life if he went lame, buy him.

Finding wouldn’t bother me, but I buy horses that I’m happy to pay for and retire cause I’m happy to see their face everyday even if I can’t ride.

4 Likes

Thank you for the input! We have full neck and back rads. This is the only spot! Personally in all the videos I have, I DONT see a toe drag. However wanted to mention it, as it’s part of the ppe vets records. Tbh, experience with her wasn’t great but that’s another story.

I very much had to decide if I’m going for it 100% or not and I’ve decided to just do it! I’m very confident in my ability to get him working “correctly” and really develop his top line and core. Massage, Chiro, saddle fit are all things I’m a believer in already and now know to be extra diligent.

I got scared for a second but I’m beyond excited to call this guy my own. 30th birthday present to myself and my come back after a few years off from owning. I lost my dad suddenly in December and decided then that life is short and can be cut short so what am I waiting for!

19 Likes

That’s so great to hear! His dam is VERY nice. He for sure got his movement and athleticism from her. His sire have him the awesome G line brain!

Awesome news!! Congratulations!!

He’s so pretty! I approve.

And just to address the comment about hoof angles above, my mare has what I would call neutral plantar angles. After a lot of discussion with vets and farriers, we’ve not tried to get them positive. It seems to be working for us so even though I question it occasionally, I put it under the “if it ain’t broke” category. Saddle fit is key, but it is for all horses. We rode in a Black Country for a long time, which we both loved, but we switched to an EQ recently and it’s like her back found a whole new level of happy.

Best of luck with your new guy! :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like