Unlimited access >

PPE Timeframe

What is a reasonable time frame for a buyer to give a seller with regards to making a decision whether to buy a horse or pass after a PPE was conducted?

Context
PPE was done Friday pm per seller’s request because the horse is scheduled to go to a show next week. PPE was done and we received exam results and x-rays on Tuesday eve. Drug testing results have not come back yet (note: Monday was a federal holiday). The horse is not local, so the results were sent to our vet for review. I understand the seller’s desire to want to know if the horse is going to the show or not, but I also don’t know what a reasonable expectation is for having a chance to review the results with the vet & make an informed decision.

As a seller, I would expect you to firm up with at least partial payment by tonight. Your Vet has had the information for 2 days, which is generous time to review. Drug testing can take a discouraging amount of time, so I would be prepared to accept an offer that guarantees drug testing drawn during PPE will be clear.

Until you pay, the horse remains for sale, and will be shown, and other offers entertained. Should horse show well, the price may well increase.

I appreciate your feedback! As a seller, what is a time frame you think is reasonable for a decision after the PPE? My thought was 48 hours after results received (exam & xray results)?

I expect a decision within 24 hours of PPE, unless you have previously discussed with me a specific time frame. Given the scenario you describe, I would stretch to 48 hours after PPE Vet sent information. Beyond that, I would write you off as a time waster, and would stop communicating with you.

You would get a message along the lines of “Should you wish to proceed with purchase of Dobbin, we should connect to sort out the details. If Dobbin is not going to work for you, I Thank you for your interest, and wish you well in your ongoing search”.

1 Like

As a seller, I would expect a decision within 48 hours of PPE unless different terms were previously discussed and agreed upon by all parties. I agree with Painted about continuing to show and market horse unless a payment is received.

I expect 3-5 days (sometimes a week for a drug screen), although I communicate that to the seller. Oftentimes there is a minor something on x-ray that the vet wants to view on the big screen back at the clinic before opining on, and that may take 1-2 days after the visit. Then we wait for CBC, Chem panel, Lyme, EPM, and drug screen.

I keep the seller in the loop though - daily updates that x, y, or z came back clean, we’re signed off on clinical/x-rays, we’re only waiting on the drug screen, etc.

2 Likes

If I was selling the horse and you were still awaiting test results and had not made up your mind or put a deposit down on the horse I would expect to show the horse as usual if I chose to.

1 Like