Unlimited access >

Practice Balance?

I apologize if I’m not under the correct category.

I feel I need to work on my balance and outside of my lessons, I don’t exactly have a way to do that. However, I recently had an opportunity to try out a hover board and it got me thinking. Would this be a good way to practice balance? What are your thoughts?

I don’t know about spending $150 just practice balance, but maybe I could find a cheap one on Ebay or during Black Friday.

By the way…I didn’t do good. I couldn’t balance myself and since I couldn’t get my feet in sync, I kept spinning myself and the person holding my hands, in circles. :slight_smile:

There’s a pro bull rider, whose name I’m currently forgetting, that stands on a medicine ball to work on his balance. You could try a balance ball, which is probably easier to tackle to start than a medicine ball. It’s also cheaper than a hover board. Also look up exercises for balance online, some are as simple as standing on one leg!

1 Like

I have the Isokinetics $17 one, Walmart sells that one.
Mine came from a friend that was not using it any more.
That one works very well to teach you to keep your balance:

best-wobble-and-balance-boards

You could try starting with one of those and see if that helps.

The local gym has the Bose $85 one.

I have the Isokinetics $17 one, Walmart sells that one.
Mine came from a friend that was not using it any more.
That one works very well to teach you to keep your balance:

best-wobble-and-balance-boards

You could try starting with one of those and see if that helps.

Agree with the comment above, but I will also add that having yourself on a regular exercise/workout program will help strengthen your core muscles … which will also help balance.

1 Like

Sitting on a yoga ball is also great, love mine

Balance when standing is not the same as balance when riding, so I am wondering what issues you are having that make you feel you need to work on balance so that we can help you target the specific issue/mechanism you need to develop. Could be weak core, asymmetry, actual balance (like, do you fall over when you close your eyes) or?

1 Like

I notice my balance issues most, when I trot. I put more weight in stirrup and go side to side and I’m constantly adjusting myself, to get centered on the horse.

I’ll give the balance ball a try. So much cheaper than a hover board!!

You could also practice riding without stirrups. I don’t know if this is a thing in western lessons but it’s a big part of learning to ride English. Helps you overcome bracing in the stirrups.

General fitness core stability and balance are all a help but nothing beats miles in the saddle.

1 Like
  • just more saddle time … even just walking
1 Like