Unlimited access >

Preparing for a horse's death

Next week we are getting one of our lesson horses put down. She was the first horse I rode and taught me a lot so she has a special place i my heart. I know it’s for the better that she’s being put down but Im still going to miss her. How can I prepare myself to make it easier when she’s gone?

Remember the good times. Focus on how much you learned from her, be grateful that you had her in your life

Be thankful you can end her life peacefully rather than in an emergency situation. It’s 10’s worse when you HAVE to put them down -on the spot- to stop severe pain.

When I have had those moments I will spend some special time with them as they wolf down a huge bag of their favorite treats/feed. I take A LOT of pictures and save some mane and tail.

Create a blog page or an album on Facebook with photos of her so you can go to and just remember her.

I am sorry you are having to go through this there are many here that know exactly how you are feeling. Prayers to you and your sweet friend!!!

[QUOTE=back in the saddle;7929343]
Be thankful you can end her life peacefully rather than in an emergency situation. It’s 10’s worse when you HAVE to put them down -on the spot- to stop severe pain.[/QUOTE]

i second this – we had to put down our gelding on christmas eve this year after a freak paddock injury. it was very hard for all involved, and he was in a lot of pain. i am so grateful that my other horse did not go this way – it is much easier and better to put down the horse a day early than a day late. know that you (and all involved) are doing the right thing by giving the horse a peaceful ending.

bring lots of carrots, her favorite treats, and brush her down one last time. unless you know you can handle it, you do not need to be present to see her put down. we brought boo some carrots and mints, cut a section of his tail and walked him out back and he went peacefully.

[QUOTE=back in the saddle;7929343]
Be thankful you can end her life peacefully rather than in an emergency situation. It’s 10’s worse when you HAVE to put them down -on the spot- to stop severe pain.[/QUOTE]

^This. Times some absurdly large number.

But, in a word, you really can’t. You will miss her. It will hurt. Your heart will ache for weeks, maybe months. You may even question if you did all you could, and if you made the right choice. Time is pretty much the only healer in these sorts of circumstances.

But I agree 110%, if I had any solace when I put down my old guy, it was in the fact that I chose a beautiful, sunny June day, that I spent the whole morning with him, and that I sent him off to a peaceful place before his body made the decision and left me no choice.