Prestige Serial Number Decryption

Does anyone know how to tell the age of a saddle by its serial number? This is the number:
17 33 630-012
I heard that older Prestige saddles are wool flocked. Is this true?

I have a Prestige Hunter Classic, which was foam flocked. I got it re flocked with wool. It looks to me like yours was made in 2012, June 30.

Thanks! By the age of this saddle do you know if it is foam or wool flocked? I heard older Prestige saddles were wool flocked.

I have a 2-year old wool flocked Prestige Eventing saddle, but I chose that as an option when I bought it. Some models have that option. I don’t think there’s anything in the serial number that indicates flocking type.

you should be able to see into the area of the seat along the gullet and see or feel wool. You can try using a small crochet hook and see if you can pull out some flocking.

Short of that, a good saddle fitter should be able to tell you what you have and if they can re-flock it to fit or if it can be retro-fitted with wool .

Like bip said, they come either way, even new. Very old saddles will be wool but 2012 it can be either way

Wool or foam is a choice at purchase. I think some models might only come one way unless special ordered. You can call Ron Friedson at allsaddles.com/prestigesaddlesusa.com and I’d bet he can decode that for you. I purchased my Prestige jump saddle through him.

Contact a prestige rep via email and I think they should be able to tell you if it’s wool or foam. I did this for an Arc de Triomphe saddle from a 3rd party seller and they were super helpful. I’m assuming you’re buying on line and may not have the option of poking around in it. If all of the above advice doesn’t work out usually foam has a very uniform flat and squared off appearance to the panels whereas wool is more rounded off. Totally understand if you don’t want to risk the order based on that not so reliable tell though.

Thanks for all the feedback! :slight_smile: The saddle is at a local tack shop, and I think I will go check it out soon.