Unlimited access >

Priced out of the sport?

I wasn’t told to put on a mask. I’ve never in any situation, at a show or any other public or even non public place, ever been called out for not wearing a mask. I have been happy to comply. It was the belittling and unprofessional behavior of representatives of the governing body that disturbs me. It is wrong for them to treat the membership and the people they serve like crap. Again, if you want to support that with your money go for it!

And your best portion is calling me a snowflake? Seriously?

1 Like

Yes. In a year in which hundreds of thousands of people have died or gotten sick and/or lost their livelihood, you complaining about how the “unprofessional” enforcement of a mask mandate at a horse show on private property hurt your feelings qualifies you as a snowflake. That is my “portion”. Have a good night.

20 Likes

In a year where hundreds of thousand of people have died promoting something as effective as rubbing your tummy and patting your head as a safety measure is incredibly dishonest as well as demeaning, but at least you have lots of company.

2 Likes

To pull this back on topic one of the significant reasons that people are being “priced out of the sport” is the overreach of the governing bodies demanding compliance for things that may or may not improve your experience or safety. Things that may or may not be as much about protecting cronies as it is protecting competitors or horses.

It is fascinating to me that the same people here frustrated with the cost of the sport don’t seem at all concerned with over-regulation and even applaud it. More regulation always comes back to being a financial burden on the consumer.

See National Snaffle Bit Association vs USEF as an object lesson.

2 Likes

Well, he’s available at the moment…

3 Likes

I scrolled back up this thread thinking a horse was available. I’m kind of disappointed now :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

They’re just lucky they didn’t get immediately DQed, like you would for a million other infractions on the rules such as illegal equipment or spanking your horse one too many times. How embarrassing is that?

Bye Felicia. I’ll take my braindead self and just be glad there is any type of competition instead of being a little whiner about how my rule-breaking-friends got called out. Hope the judge rings the bell quietly when you get the E - wouldn’t want anyone to be humiliated. :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

To clarify, I did not ask how to not do it. I asked how to do it. I knew you had a list of ways not to do it, I was asking you, sincerely, how you wanted them to do it affectively. Again, we can agree that the rule may or may not make sense, but it is a rule so how did you want them to enforce it?

I would guess that the announcer was asked to do that. At least that was my experience when I heard an announcer doing something similar. An official was doing something, they saw a group of unmasked people walking the show jumping course (in a bunch, frequently closer than 6’) and ask the announcer to remind those people that masks are required always while on the grounds if not mounted.

I am about as far from a “crazed covid-zealout” as they come and I have admitted lots of times on this very forum that I truly HATE wearing my mask. But this summer, twice, I put that darn thing on and wore it all darn day so I could volunteer at an event. I was very much 6’ from people almost all the time (with the exception of the riders periodically) and I was definitely outside (oh the joys of rain). I did not make it an issue that I had to wear my mask. I put it on, followed the rule, and when the day was done I took it off when I got into my car to drive home.
Humorous bonus - the mask made the porta-potty a little more bearable.

For the record, I think we are probably on the same page about a mask making a difference while walking cross country or hanging out in show jumping warm up. I still put the darn thing on. I think a good point to make is, no one would have to be embarrassed if they simply followed the rules put forth to participate (well, unless they put their mask on upside down, and it is the type that upside down means the graphics do not work).

17 Likes

I guess for me it doesn’t follow that people assume that because I, and others like subk, think the rules are stupid that we aren’t following them. Or that we have no right to question it because OMG it’s private property.

IME, talking with show managers, they didn’t like the rule either or being forced to enforce what they too considered to be an overreaching rule from USEF. They would have preferred following CDC and local guidelines on their private property.

I think USEF should change the rule to allow show managers to set their own rules as long as they meet or exceed CDC, state, and local social distancing and masking guidelines. That would make so much sense and it is certainly possible to enforce – the same way stewards would ask people without masks or wearing them incorrectly to fix them this year. They’d just only have to do it when people were in groups. Or if they wanted, they could require constant masking – the rule would set a floor, not a ceiling.

I did take my mask off at night at my horse trailer where I was sleeping so I guess I wasn’t perfect, but anyone with a problem with me taking it off while sleeping in my gooseneck – I guess I’d have to also be concerned why anyone is peering through my window at me in my sleep!

2 Likes

This is a valid point.

I personally am all for questioning things that seem out of line.
That does not make it OK to be mad at the people simply enforcing the stupid rule that they were told they had to enforce.
Questioning a stupid rule =/= being angry with the poor person trying to enforce the stupid rule.

There have been many threads here about poor volunteers being treated rudely by competitors while the poor volunteer is trying to enforce the stated mask rule.

And though I have been posting about this, I am not sure what it has to do with the original topic of this thread.

9 Likes

Sounds like he & his horse are beyond my budget! :rofl:

@trubandloki you are absolutely correct, it is never OK to treat volunteers rudely about anything, masking included.

5 Likes

Is it a USEF event? Well then.

Look, I can make a knock down drag out argument for allowing a whip in dressage. The rule says, no whips.

The USEF is attempting to make consistent rules across various events, in a variety of locations, run by a wide variety of people, attended by a variety of people (who may have had experiences at other venues as well) in the middle of a pandemic. Which part of that do people not understand?

FFS.

6 Likes

Oh, we understand the rule and why it exists. That doesn’t make the rule any more sensible.

There is a perfectly easy option we are expected to figure out as soon as we step off the Showgrounds in a new location: that we need to follow local, state, and federal requirements. What part of THAT do you not understand? Shows don’t exist in a vacuum – there is no additional burden for having to figure out the local situation, given that participants already need to be aware what those rules are to drive to the show, get food, and/or stay in a hotel offsite. It’s not rocket science.

Seems to me a USEF rule at a USEF event is a “local requirement”.

Yes, you can use your whip in dressage at home.

3 Likes

But… show grounds frequently have rules that exceed what the local, state, and federal requirements are.

To enter the State Fair show my horse had to have proof of a bunch of vaccines that are not required (recommended but not required) by local, state, or federal requirements. My choice was follow their rules or not show at their show.

6 Likes

As I said, this is a floor. If show managers want to require more, they can. It’s a straw man argument to go back, again, to the fact the rule exists or that we must follow the rules at shows. That does not mean it’s the most sensible rule possible. My comment suggests a better rule and explains how it would not be difficult to enforce or especially burdensome for competitors to understand.

And no, regard, USEF rules are not the same as local government requirements from the city or county. Many cities/counties have COVID requirements different from those of the state, as I am sure you are aware. Plus, it’s spurious to have a rule saying you need to follow itself, which is how your interpretation reads.

To read this thread, you’d think that USEF COVID requirements are like the Ten Commandments and May Never Be Modified. Which is particularly ironic, given government regulations and recommendations have been modified over and over since the beginning of the pandemic, based on what science has learned about the virus. Yay science! Why not follow the science?

1 Like

So do many private property owners. I think you’re arguing in a circle here.

6 Likes

No, I’m arguing at a brick wall. I am not sure what you hope to accomplish by pointing this out over and over. I didn’t say otherwise. In fact, I specifically stated that.

The only argument I’ve been making is whether or not the USEF rule is the best rule (based on science and safety protocols), or whether an alternative, less, burdensome, more practicable rule is possible. Your responses are either deliberately non responsive or you have failed to comprehend the difference between “is” and “should be.” I’m not going to spend any more time explaining it, if you are confused you can review my previous posts.

Looks like a tempest in a teapot to me. I mean, you’re perfectly welcome to go all in on argumentation to the contrary, nobody’s stopping you. I’m just saying from my POV, what a waste of time and mental energy.

You’ve got company, knock yourself out. (But, yeah, replying to me is probably useless here.)

5 Likes