Unlimited access >

Pricing a Billy Cook saddle?

I’m primarily a h/j rider but also do quite a bit of trail riding with my husband and would like to find a western saddle to trail ride in. I found a Billy Cook barrel saddle for sale in my area for $500 in the right size for me and my horse. I think I recognize Billy Cook as a quality brand, but I don’t know what questions to ask and how to determine if it is a good deal. I’m in no hurry, so I’m really just waiting to stumble on a high quality lightweight saddle at a good price.

Where was it made? Sulphur, OK or Greenville, TX?

I’ll have to ask the seller. What is the difference? Is one better quality/worth more?

Yes. The original BC saddles were just about as top quality as you can get. They sold to another company, who kept the name, and still made a good saddle, but not a top quality saddle. Unfortunately, I don’t know where the new ones are made, so no help then. I do know that for $500 if it is in good shape, it would be worth that more than likely, even if it is a newer one. The roper I wanted in 1986 was $3500 then…needless to say, that dream was not realized.

I have an older Sulphur, OK show saddle, not sure on the year, but it’s seen some hard rides, and I sold it last year for $700.

I do know that for $500 if it is in good shape, it would be worth that more than likely, even if it is a newer one.

Agree.

Greenville, TX Original Billy Cook = saddles first created by BC

Greenville, TX = saddles made by Simco after buying out BC

Sulphur, OK = Billy Cook’s second company he started.

The first and third are the better quality.

[QUOTE=bugsynskeeter;8093234]
Greenville, TX Original Billy Cook = saddles first created by BC

Greenville, TX = saddles made by Simco after buying out BC

Sulphur, OK = Billy Cook’s second company he started.

The first and third are the better quality.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I edited my post to remove the erroneous information!

[QUOTE=BK6756;8091854]
I’m primarily a h/j rider but also do quite a bit of trail riding with my husband and would like to find a western saddle to trail ride in. I found a Billy Cook barrel saddle for sale in my area for $500 in the right size for me and my horse. I think I recognize Billy Cook as a quality brand, but I don’t know what questions to ask and how to determine if it is a good deal. I’m in no hurry, so I’m really just waiting to stumble on a high quality lightweight saddle at a good price.[/QUOTE]

It’s not relevant to the price of your saddle – which, btw, I would consider a great deal – but Billy Cook is still alive and kicking and redesigns his saddles every year. If you call his saddlery in Sulphur, he answers the phone himself.

I would consider them a nice mid-range priced saddle. Not the top of the top, but not the bottom either. (That is of course, talking about the good Billy Cook saddles.)

I would say $500 is a very fair price, so long as it fits both you and your horse.

Thank you everyone for the great info! Unfortunately by the time she got around to answering my email she had already sold it. :frowning:
Oh well, I guess I need to jump on it quicker if I see another in my price range.

I don’t happen to like high cantle saddles for long rides. Barrel saddles are higher in most cases, than other saddle models.

With the higher cantle, you are not as able to move around in the seat which tends to hold you in place closer than other lower cantle saddle models. Being in a saddle for several hours at a time, you will WANT to move a bit while riding, though still staying even on the horse to prevent soreness. Keeps your circulation moving better, with a bit of body changes, shifting while sitting.

Another problem, is I see folks needing a longer seat measurement with the high cantle forcing them to stay in place more, than what seat measurement they need with a lower cantle saddle.

As with any saddle, check that stirrups fall straight down under your body, so you don’t have the “chair seat” effect with legs, knees/feet, ahead of your body while riding. Barrel Racing saddle is made to improve the run of a Barrel horse and rider, cut the fractions of a second off their time. Not made to be ridden long distances. Some models of Barrel Saddles will work for trail riding, others? Not so much in comfort to horse or rider.

Lastly, I find a flatter seat is more comfortable on long rides. Flat doesn’t force you into a position, as Equitation saddles can do. Very easy to shift, change your body position on the ride, with a flatter seat saddle. This flatter seat is more common on working saddles, where folks expect to put in 8+ hours a day riding it. A padded seat or non-padded is up to you, just not a built upward seat to hold you in place while riding. I like a little padding myself, I think it lets your seat “breathe” a bit during the ride over a hard seat saddle.