Unlimited access >

Pricing a horse

I come from the expensive Arabian world so I don’t really have a sense of what a good priced horse is so I thought I would write up a few scenarios and see what people would pay for them to try to help me get an idea of how people decide how to price their horse reasonably, not for a quick sale but so they will sell at some point. Assuming all have average conformation and have scope for more

1. Three year old American warmblood mare just started under saddle
  2. Three year old American warmblood gelding just started under saddle
  3. Three year old TB mare just started under saddle
  4. Three year old TB gelding just started under saddle
  5. Three year old Dutch warmblood mare just started under saddle
  6. Three year old Dutch warmblood gelding just started under saddle
  7. Four year old American Warmblood mare competed starter and schooling beginner novice
  8. Four year old American warmblood gelding competed starter and school beginner novice
  9. Four year old TB mare competed starter and schooling beginner novice
  10. Four year old TB gelding competed starter and schooling beginner novice
  11. Four year old Dutch warmblood mare competed starter and schooling beginner novice
  12. Four year old Dutch warmblood gelding competed started and schooling beginner novice
  13. Five year old American warmblood mare competed beginner novice and schooling novice
  14. Above but gelding
  15. Above but TB mare
  16. TB gelding
  17. Dutch warmblood mare
  18. Dutch warmblood gelding
  19. Five year old American warmblood mare competed novice and schooling training
  20. American warmblood gelding
  21. TB mare
  22. TB gelding
  23. Dutch warmblood mare
  24. Dutch warmblood gelding
  25. Six year old American warmblood mare competed training schooling prelim
  26. American warmblood gelding
  27. TB mare
  28. TB gelding
  29. Dutch warmblood mare
  30. Dutch warmblood gelding
  31. Seven year old American warmblood mare competed training schooling prelim
  32. American warmblood gelding
  33. TB mare
  34. TB gelding
  35. Dutch warmblood mare
  36. Dutch warmblood gelding
  37. Above but Eight year old American warmblood mare
  38. American warmblood gelding
  39. TB mare
  40. TB gelding
  41. Dutch warmblood mare
  42. Dutch warmblood gelding
  43. Above but nine year old American warmblood mare
  44. American warmblood gelding
  45. TB mare
  46. TB gelding
  47. Dutch warmblood mare
  48. Dutch warmblood gelding

You want people to give you prices on 57 imaginary horses?
::lol:
In eventing people are less interested in breed and more interested in brain, soundness, and talent.
I suggest you look on FB for the several event horse sales groups to
figure out how to price your herd of fantasy horses.

LOL. Asterix, you beat me to it. Assuming we get paid to fill this thing out? Probably going to need $50 at least.

Certain things about your list tell their own story. American Warmblood is not enough of a type, ever, to price as a category. And why only Dutch WBs??? They are not typically all eventer types anyway. So what’s your point here?

I’ve seen so many non-horsey people ask this so I wanted this to be something they could look at to see the gigantic range. I honestly didn’t expect anyone to even read the whole post and expected more trashing lol Sorry the way I posted it was confusing, I honestly didn’t mean for it to be. I wasn’t quite sure how to ask this to get an answer I was looking for. The things above are a summery of things I’ve seen. I wanted people searching the internet to be able to find this and see that even with this foundation information there isn’t a by the book pricing system and see many other considerations people have when looking at horses. I apologize if you think this was sneaky or stupid.

It isn’t all just breed and sex. There are so many other factors that come in to play. Your range could be free to tens of thousands and even more depending on the horse… training, temperament/brain, athleticism, location, experience, suitable for a novice/ammy or is it more of a pro ride, etc.