Unlimited access >

Prize money in show jumping

So I noticed the top horses in the first round of show jumping received prize money. Do all of the rounds offer money for the top horses? And is money offered in all the disciplines (and I just didn’t realize it?) or is it specifically show jumping-only?

The reason I ask is, given the huge cost required to put on a WEG being a factor in who can actually host these games, it seems to me that prize money would be one thing that they could cut to help relieve expenses. It may be considered a drop in the bucket… but to me $100k for one round is nothing to sneeze at. It also doesn’t make a great amount of sense to me why there would be such a huge financial incentive to the show jumpers (probably the richest sport in the games). I, personally, would rather have a large amount of prize money go to the para-dressage equestrians. But I thought most people wanted to compete at their world championship for love of sport and the pride in representing their country. Is that not the case for the show jumpers?

There was prize money in the Reining. The winner of the Indiv Reining won about $11,000 USD.

The jumper circuit in general has big money at the top, all the Grand Prix and Nations Cup and etc. Reining and cutting too. Dressage doesn’t, AFAIK.

Who funds? I think it’s sponsored so it’s why you get corporate names on venues and classes.

Down to our regional level, there can be a $500 juniors miniprix at 3 foot sponsored by some local construction contractor with a grand daughter who loves horses :).

There’s certainly no money for the equivalent dressage!

It’s probably based on what’s customary for the sport. Reining and show jumping typically have larger prize money. Yes, showjumping usually gives prize money out for each round, not just the overall winner.

I found of list for the prize money to be awarded:

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/world-equestrian-games-prize-money-653326

2 Likes

The sums for the para dressage are embarrassingly low… For most of these athletes (aside from the show jumpers!), the prize money is just going to be a payment towards their expenses to get to the competition.

2 Likes

I think that, if there was not SUBSTANTIAL prize money, most of the show jumpers would not be interested in participating.

Also, there are FEI rules on the amount of prize money that MUST be offered.

4 Likes

Very interesting.

Janet hits it.

New Zealand Horse of the Year pays no para prize money, yet we have to be registered and pay the same ground fees etc.

Man especially for the drivers who have way way more shipping and maintenance costs associated, the differences in prize money are le suck.

and like 40$ for a top 12 in paradressage? 1300$ for a world championship?! Wtf.

I don’t begrudge the show jumpers their money except in the context of $40 checks for the paradressage. One wonders why even bother writing checks of that size.

3 Likes

How many owners would want to send their horses to jump that many rounds, if there was no return on investment other than medals? My guess is not many. The prestige is important, I’m sure, but they have a lot of costs and without prize money it might be hard for them to justify it.

Too bad more of that money can’t be spread across the disciplines – think how much attention the paradressage got this year, yet those riders are getting $40 checks?? Sad.

1 Like

All travel feed etc expenses were paid by either the Organizing committee or the National Federations. (Otherwise nobody would turn up)
http://www.rfhe.com/wp-content/uploa…signed-SIB.pdf
Page 33.

The inequality is staggering.

But what often happens equibrit is the riders/sponsors/owners pay the transport costs and then are reimbursed by their national federation.

but more than a few national federations are very slow to pay, if they ever do. Like imagine fighting with your federation for years to get that 12000 shipping back.

Certain level riders for certain federations are also supposed to receive a regular stipend. That also often is slow to arrive or simply doesn’t. And I’m talking to Olympians.

riders are much, much more reliant on the deep pockets of whomever for these costs because federations too often don’t come through. One of the reasons it’s so impossible to make it without those deep pockets.

If you read the Equestrian Freight Manual it reads like Expenses are charged, by Peden, to the accounts of the Organizing Committee and the National Federations, whom I presume signed the contract.

Not all the Federations pay. It might go through their accounts in some fashion but it’s absolutely the case that in some nations it’s up to the rider/owner to get the horse there, potentially by raising the money FOR the federation. That is on top, of course, of the expense needed to qualify in the first place, or to arrive ahead of time for acclimation etc.

1 Like