Unlimited access >

Probable EPM in 21 YO TWH with a good number of allergies. This is a lot

I"ve owned Chip since he was 4. We’ve been many, many miles together.

I don’t ride as much as I used to, but my husband rides him about 2x a week. This horse lives out with his two gelding friends and the donkey. His allergies are pretty well managed through feeding alfalfa (or timothy pellets) and Max E Glo, and lots of bermuda hay. I nebulize him as needed, and he’s pretty good with this approach. He has access to a white salt block and Equimin mineral block. He can’t have oats, flax, beet pulp, corn, soy. He has looked and felt great on this feed, as do his buddies.

I noticed over the Fall what I thought might be a loss of topline and butt, and wrote it off to DH letting him cheat and step-pace vs. flat walk, and he also typically does a little dip each winter then comes into Spring looking well. Well, last Friday he didn’t finish dinner (they come in the barn to eat) and I found him ‘catatonic’- just dull, head lowered, no interest in anything, wouldn’t take a peppermint. I pulled his tail laterally and he let me move his back end. rocking his withers found his knees wobbly. Called the vet, loaded him up with bute, turned him out in the arena for observation.
Saturday found him slightly interested in wet hay, still not drinking. Would nibble grass. I walked him to the borrowed, greener field and he happily ate grass. Over the weekend and lots of bute he got more and more comfortable, and actually got away from us Sunday afternoon and ran home, LOL. All ended fine and he’s eating normally and drinking well ever since. Only clinical sign is continued toe dragging behind, swaying pelvis and withers, and lack of muscle tone in his tail.

I’m devastated.

He’s 21, he has compromised lungs (even when he sounds clear as a bell, he has to push to exhale, you can see it in his flanks). Now this. He is happy, he lets me love on him and he’s bright eyed. but I am in the floor about this.

I don’t know what I’m asking if I’m asking anything at all.

Sent blood off Monday. No results yet. Think it will be Monday when we get them back.

This is Chip with his nephew Archie looking over his shoulder.

6 Likes

Jingles to your boy and sympathies to you! Keep us posted on how the lab work comes back.

1 Like

Sounds like you caught it fast and hopefully he will respond quickly once you know what to treat.

2 Likes

Awww dang these sweet and stoic TWHs like Chip…what are they checking in bloodwork specifically- an infection, EPM, Lymes? It kind of sounds like a tick bourne illness or a neurological issue like EPM.

1 Like

EPM. We aren’t in Lyme territory.

1 Like

I am so sorry. I’m hoping for positive news. He looks like a sweet boy.

1 Like

I would treat the EPM as long as he still is rideable. It doesn’t sound like he is doing so poorly you need to consider euthanasia at this point. Of course it’s your pocket book that is paying for treatment.

My friend lost her horse to EPM. He responded well with the initial treatment and relapsed about a year later. I think treatment is worth trying and if he relapses later you can either treat again or consider euthanasia.

Could he have eaten something toxic in the field, or could it be a neurological form of another infectious disease? IME at least, EPM doesn’t usually show such a sudden/severe onset followed by rapid improvement. Is the muscle loss symmetrical? Asymmetrical muscle wasting is more associated with EPM. Just wondering if it might be something else, for better or for worse…

2 Likes

More loss over his right hip.

We will do this round of treatment, but not another should he relapse.

2 Likes

Sending some jingles. He’s a very handsome horse!

1 Like