Unlimited access >

Problem solved - barn manager not honoring contract due to pony's behavior

How did you come up with these ideas about the barn manager?

8 Likes

Possibly not; if the BM already charges extra for giving daily meds and thus may charge even more since Regumate has significant risks for humans and requires extra cautious handling (especially when handled by women).
Plus, as the owner of a mare, I’d be slightly off put if someone suggested MY mare go on Regumate because THEIR horse mounted her.

At the end of the day, if a BO does mixed herds on their farm, they need to be knowledgable and prepared to make herd adjustments when such behaviors arise. Hussies in heat are normal and natural. Geldings mounting are normal and natural. Many can live together in harmony, some cannot.

5 Likes

Well I figured at least one mare owner would be indignant with my suggestion :laughing:

Who knows - I’ve boarded a mare a few places and was not charged extra for administration of Regumate at any of them. Maybe because I was in show barn situations where many, if not most, mares were on it as well - but for many places it is not really a big deal.

Maybe I missed details, but I don’t think we know the situation with the pony mare and her owner. Maybe the owners are on friendly terms, in which case it may not be a crazy suggestion.

Just presenting an alternative ideas if everyone is stuck with the situation as-is.

3 Likes

I don’t think any euthanasia is ever a “convenience”. I’m glad you have considered the option and have made your decision.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Not quite indignant, but I’d be mildly annoyed for a moment if I were asked this by a fellow boarder, and it would be a hard no.

There’s a few threads I remember discussing BOs charging to give Regumate, and its dangers. You’re right in that many show barns don’t charge, because they’re already handling it regularly for a lot of the mares. IME, though, for non-show barns, they typically charge, if they’re even willing to do it. Because it’s not just a hazard for the moment you’re giving it to the horse. It’s usually given orally, and the horse can easily wipe it on gates, doors, buckets, etc., surfaces regularly touched by humans. Repeated exposure to humans can cause significant reproductive effects. Personally, as a BO whose career is Chemical Regulatory and Safety, I would have not been willing to orally give it to a horse. Therefore, as a boarder at the moment, I would not ask a BO to give it orally to my mare.

I’d be okay with giving the injection if ever it were needed.

3 Likes

The title to this thread now says “Problem solved” – isn’t this an updated/changed title? Perhaps a post telling of the solution might be apropos…

1 Like

The update was posted at the top of the original post.

. . . we’ve been let out of our lease with our deposit fully refunded . . .

@hurricane07, what a relief!

9 Likes