Products that help with grip..saddle, breeches

Hi
does anyone have any advice for products that help to secure seat? I was wondering about products such as saddle tite or tacktified breeches.
Has anyone used this? http://www.ridergrip.com/

The magnetic stirrups seem nice but also are expensive…
I appreciate any advice
Leslie

Kerrits stick tights supposedly grip tightly enuf that you can post out of them if they are too big… :eek: butt goes up - pants stay on the saddle.

I HAVE some of the rider grip - but unfortunately haven’t been able to use it yet. It feels pretty grippy, tho.

Fit-Nes is a great product that is composed of 15% running, 25% weights, 35% no stirrup work, and 25% gymnastics.

Seriously, grippy stuff will hurt you more in the long run. I used to use it when I had a bad leg, it kept my leg in place but it did nothing to help my riding. I switched trainers and my leg looks so much better.

I’ve had really good luck with FITS breeches. The On-Tyte magnetic stirrups are fantastic, but they are pricey. I have Royal Riders stirrups. I believe they are the TR3 model. They have a wide area for your foot, a cheese grater pad, and they are rotated so it’s easier to pick up a lost stirrup.

Thanks guys:)
LOL…about the butt goes up and pants stay down! whoopsie daisy!

So Tollertrwin, you havent tried the riders grips, what ones do you have? the gel or…? I am waiting for the new version due out in feb. I think I will order some.

Maudie…what is this new fangled product called Fit-Nes…:wink:
seriously tho…Im not too worried about the long run and just wanting to get thru day by day.
Cheers
Leslie

I have the foam…and it is stickier according to the manufacturer. Was going to start back using that due to hip surgery (can you say my left leg doesn’t work anymore??).

Unfortunately- now I need MORE surgery - can you say ‘left leg will need all the help it can get!!!’

[QUOTE=leslie645;4629313]
Thanks guys:)
LOL…about the butt goes up and pants stay down! whoopsie daisy!

So Tollertrwin, you havent tried the riders grips, what ones do you have? the gel or…? I am waiting for the new version due out in feb. I think I will order some.

Maudie…what is this new fangled product called Fit-Nes…:wink:
seriously tho…Im not too worried about the long run and just wanting to get thru day by day.
Cheers
Leslie[/QUOTE]

Ahh, I see :). I read it differently, I apologize.

Do you have your own saddle? I recently gave my “new” Crosby saddle a good cleaning with glycerine soap and it became significantly more grippy.

I have the on tyte stirrups, and love them. I ride the Va hunt trails and gallop and jump small obstacles. I haven’t returned to foxhunting yet, but these stirrups will save you on a down hill drop fence or water crossing. (I think you started hunting this year, if I remember correctly)

If you are hunting or not in a dressage competition, the real sheepskin seat saver helps quite well.

I also use mink oil on the horse side of my boots, which adds moveable grip. It is water and sweat proofing as well.

The saddle tite is hard to take off after use. You may want to research the eventing forum about their suggestion favorites. Beeswax is a choice of some. The german version of saddle tite is even more difficult to remove. There is a thread about it.

Now, I have a request for you. You have mentioned a theraputic riding group in Aldie, that is building a new site. Would you please tell us about it and P.M. me with the contact info? The new site will be close to me and I know more people who will be interested in it.

Thanks!
Robin
Ps I have a trak mare…

I pretty much always ride in full seat breeches. I recently purchased a Wintec 2000 AP saddle for hunting/trail riding.It has the synthetic suede seat. My main english saddle is a Pessoa. I ride with that mostly in lessons and clinics. I use a nice conditioner(think it is called Greenwoods-yellow container with green writing) for the Pessoa. I have found this to help the tackiness.

My teacher doesn’t like and mostly doesn’t allow fullseats. And as a student of his, I agree.

BUT, when I figured out the Ancient Passier fit His Princeness & the Pea AND didn’t hurt my hips/aggravate my sciatica… I knew I had to make it work. But the seat was shallow, big, and LIKE GLASS in the way of those Ancient Passiers.

The RiderGrip pad on the seat was a miracle. Honestly, it’s like thinline for the rider. I used it MUCH more forward than shown on the website, so the large part was right under my seatbones, and the narrow part started maybe 3" from the pommel. It did roll a little at times used this way, but I think Leanne has worked that out with the new material.

It’s not ‘sticky’ per say, but it adds grip, if that makes sense. Breeks don’t stick to it, and it doesn’t keep you from adjusting your seat. What it DOES do is absorb some shock. I went from not being able to sit the trot At All in the Ancient Passier and losing my seat out behind me at canter, to sitting trot like buttah and canter was amazing.

Then what was interesting, is as my abs became stronger, I did not need it any more. So you don’t become dependant on it, but rather, the other way, you become stronger and more competent because of it.

Seriously, it saved me SO much in the saddle search by making one that didn’t work, WORK.

Now, if you want some ‘tacky’ feeling, a spray called “Pow’rTac” can be found in the baseball section of sporting goods stores. It is safe on any leather, and only about $5 a can, (vs. the expensive ‘made for riding’ stuff) You can spray wherever you need a little extra grip. Seat, thighs, knees… inside boots, etc.

It will grab the breeks a little right when you start posting, but only the first few posts… Dust and hair will cling, unfortunately, but is simple to clean off: first you ‘roll’ it the way you roll rubber cement off, then just clean with Murphy’s.

Ooops! An Apology

Leslie,

My apologies! I was tired when I wrote last night.

You are in Ky not Va, right? and you have an RID filly? I have an RID gelding that I bought to be a hunt horse. Lovely temperment. Did you go hunting this year? Is that what you are asking about, or did I get that wrong, too?

Hi Whicker
Yep, Im in KY. I am car whipping next sunday for a joint meet with TVH. Should be fun:) My ID filly is 3 and will be sent to my trainers to be started soon…should be able to cub lightly next summer.

I have a joint stability disease so I need all the help I can get…especially on a youngster. I dont compete but will ride 2nd flight:)…

I am going to try the pow’r tack and invest in the ontytes. and a nice tacky pair of breeches…

lol …isnt it funny how we horse peeps describe ourselves by our horses? as in “Im the one with the trak mare”…or “bay Tb” instead of “Im the brunette or blond”… etc…I love it:)
cheers everyone and thanks for the advice…I may resurrect this thread and tell what worked for me