Unlimited access >

Products That Work and...... Products That Don't

Let’s all give Kudos to our favorite products. Ones that really do what they say they will, and (hopefully) for a reasonable price.

But, if there is a product out there that just plain is a waste of money, let’s save each other some frustration…

And I’ll go first:

Fly Sprays:

Repel-X does NOT repel an darn thing. I could use a 1/2 a bottle if the extra strong mixtue and those flies flip me their middle finger (hypothetically speaking, of course) as they land on the drenched-with-Repel-X horse.

The fly spray that comes in the silver spray bottle… is good. AAARRRGGGGHHH. Something TEC? Will edit this post tomorrow when I get the name off the bottle…

Sun Screens/Anti-Fading Sprays:

I need help here. I have used several, but it is too early in the season to have come to any definitive conclusion. Anyone have pros/cons about different brands?

Anti fungal Shampoos:

The one in the black bottle with the purple label (said label has long ago fallen off my gallon bottle). Pro-Tek or something like that? Will have to find out name at tack shop… Anyway, it does seem to keep fungus at bay.

Any other products to buy or avoid?

Well, I am now 1 week into my Apple Cider Vinegar trial and I can now put in in my “Things that work” list. I am deliberately only flyspraying Bear’s legs and ears (he has a fly mask), but not putting any fly spray on him body.

He is every bit as happy as the two boys who are wearing fly sheets. I look out to the pasture and his tail is mostly still, with just an occasional flick. Before the vinegar, even with fly spray, he was constantly flicking off flies.

I am feeding all the horses a 1/2 cup morning and a 1/2 cup evening. Only George took a day or so to get used to the taste. I guess he had never been fed apples where he came from. I know that both Warren and Bear love apples, and they had no trouble at all eating their grain with the apple cider vinegar in it.

The best part is, the more they sweat, the better it works, and it can’t wash off!

Quick Silver blueing shampoo, excellent stuff.

Vetroline for getting tangles out.

Klac 87 (now it’s called something else) but it’s still in the orange bottle and made in Germany. It’s a natural fly repellent which is reasonably priced and doesn’t scare the bejebbers out of you if you get it on your body.

Kensington (don’t think I spelled that quite right) mesh leg wraps for fly protection. The pair I have is being used for the third fly season and still in good shape.

next…

SLW
“It is I.”

I couldn’t resist jumping in on this one!

Faves…

*Vetrolin Liniment
*Healthy Hair Care Moisturizer and Hoof Dressing
*Hooflex
*Sivlerado Shine Spray
*Just about any grooming product made by Ultra Schneider’s Saddlery
*Generic $2 curry brushes
*Farrier’s Formula Life Data Labs
*Corta Flx
*Thrush Buster
*Generic glycerin bars
*Passier Lederbalsm
*Schneider’s Adjusta-Fit Blankets and SheetsSchneider’s Saddlery
*Any blanket, sheet, neck sweat, stall drapes, saddle pad, etc made by RaDon (even though they’re a little $$$$)
*Quic Braid, Silver and Color
*Billy Royal work tack - especially the english bridle with snapsSchneider’s Saddlery
*Cashel Crusader fly masks
*Electrogroom horse vacuum
*State Line Tack adjustable yearling blanket (even though the velcro was a little scary for my filly at first, that blanket fit her all winter)
*My Campbell cutback saddle

Can’t Stand…

• SHOW SHEEN (I’ll save the coat of wax for my car, thank you)
    *Fly spray - period.
    *Cardboard tack made in India
    *Hay nets
    *Horseman’s One Step
    *Polyester saddle seat Kentucky Jods (though I own 3 pairs! )
    *Laced reins
    *Catalogs that don’t carry any bits smaller than 5"

Stuff that Works;

Plain ole gycernie soap after every ride for keeping tack looking brand new for YEARS of hard use.

Blunstone Boots - One pair has lasted OVER 2 years of 2x daily trips to the barn. My ariats last 2 months at MOST of that. I get mine thru a guy in Australia and pay LESS then the lowest grade Ariats and LOVE my Blunnies. When I see someone wearing Ariats at the barn, I KNOW they don’t really work there - there just there as part of the scenery. The new style of Blunnies, Culbertson is GREAT for riding.

Bobby’s English Tack. I LOVE my hunting bridle; really nice, quality leather that looks fantastic (with proper care) for years and years.

Wool Felt Saddle pads - Unless you get really lucky or cut them yourself, you have to get these from the western section - but get the 3/4 " thick shaped one. These are FANTASTIC pads. Wonderful.

Stubben Offset Stirrups for those of us with knee problems who still spend hours in the saddle. GREAT stirrups - much safer then the Herme-Springer 4 way.

Rein Aid - LOVE them. Really helped me take clearly understand how to get my hands out of the equation.

Dover Rain Sheet with mesh lining - A GREAT sheet to have around.

Polarfleece liners/coolers - great for drying out horses - really cool science fun for wicking the water/sweat off your horse in the winter.

Grazing Muzzle that attatches to the halter (NOT the all in one version - that has thinner rubber and a too large hole and the halter part falls apart.

Stuff that you shouldn’t waste your time with;

Ariats - any of their paddock boots that you plan to use for more then riding. They were fine when I was boarding my horse and I didn’t “really” do stuff around the barn. For day in/out, these things are worthless and fall apart WAY too soon for their very expensive price tag. I have a pair I got when they first came out, the lowest grade, that have outlasted all others purchased since. I don’t know when their manufacturing standards changed, but, as of my last pair, they are not worth even half of their cost.

Cut Heal, Blu Lotion, most all those wound applications gunks - studies show (and I concur) that plan old NOTHING but clean works, or if you must put something on it, Preparation H, is the only thing that actually assists healing.

Strong Bits instead of proper training.

Every fly spray I’ve ever bought.

That’s all I can think of now!

Helen
(if you want the info on where I get my Blunnies for less then 100 a pair (heck, less then 75 really), email me)

In riding a horse we borrow freedom.
~Helen Thomson

Some things I use daily:

• Orvus Shampoo…faily cheap for the amount you get and I swear you dont run out…I have been on the same jar for like 2 years and MANY horses!

• Quic Silver…it just plain works on greys

• Healthy Hair Care Conditioner…great for everyday on the coat…leaves it shiny and healthy!

-Canter Silk Mane & Tail Conditioner…gets out tangles like ShowSheen without the sticky plastic feeling for a healthy tail

• Tuffin Up/Tuff Stuff…put only on the bottem of the hoof and the sole…strengthens for less cracks etc.

-Corona/Coruncresin around the coronary band for good hoof growth

-Stress Dex…electrolyte supplement that is cheap, works, and tastes great

-Furall…great for cuts

-For that terrible thrush and an overnight cure mix sugar and betadine and spread generously in hoof. Wrap with vetwrap and cotton and your thrush will be gone by morning!

-QuicClean…last minute stains on a grey solved!

-Listerine for that itchy tail

-SkinSoSoft and water for a fly spray…its hard to find at supermarkets now but it works as well if not better then tack shop fly sprays and is cheaper!

-Vetrolin/Alcohol/Water as a spray on liniment

-Erin-

“Im so terrified of no one else but me
Im here all the time
I wont go away…”
(Matchbox 20, Long Day)

I can’t believe I’m the only one here who uses Bite-Free (the expensive stuff in the red bottle)?! It really has worked better than anything else for me.

Clac86 worked for me the first year, after that they must have changed the formula because it ceased to be effective.

I’m glad to hear that Novalsan ointment is back and improved. I didn’t like it before because it mutated fairly quickly on the shelf into something other than ointment.

i just have one addition

gold nugget GNatural Cream (used to be GNat Away) nothing works better on jacks scrapes, they heal up and hair clearly grows back in faster.

edit

I forgot what I hate!

Showsheen
gel pads
myler bits
girth covers (only because they slide around and bunch up and just annoy the crud outa me)
polo wraps. any kind. I hate them!

I gave up on fly spray years ago.

-Amanda

Just keep kicking

Good stuff:

+another vote for Orvus. It’s great and it lasts forever

+QuicBraid. Can’t live without it! (not easily, anyway )

+SMBs. I’ve used them for 5 years now, never had a problem (XC and SJ)

+Rambos. After spending $150 on blanket repairs one year (weatherbeetas and such) I finally got a Wug. What took me so long?

+Bobby’s English Tack. Excellent price for the quality. Unbelievable thickness, well-finished and not stiff. My black-padded bridle is beautiful, and I love the supple rubber reins. And he makes some of the strongest stirrup leathers I have ever seen! Bobby’s English Tack… leather with ATTITUDE!

Buying adventures never to repeat:

-cheap leather tack. You know what I’m referring to

-Miller’s stuff has gone downhill recently

hmm, there are more, but I need to think…

~AJ~
“Got no excuses for the things that we’ve done; we were brave, we were crazy, we were mostly young.” K.C.

My favorites:
Rio Vista Equine Shine waaaayyyy better than show sheen
castile soap-so much easier than the green jelly goop for cleaning sheaths!!!
Paul’s Harness Shop they make such nice leather stuff and it is very reasonable.
Corona Ointment- super for scrapes
Finish Line Fluid Action
Bite Free- pricey, but it seems to work

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Judy A:
to toughen feet + also soles especialy for people changing to te barefoot trim----formaldahyde.

white line–a mix of strong iodine + formaldahyde.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me guess… Judy A is married to an undertaker. That is just about the only way you can get formaldahyde… I know, because I have tried. Finally, someone told my that Thompson’s Deck Sealer had formaldahyde in it. So down to Home Depot I go and look at the lables. I can’t tell from the labels, so I call the 800 number on the side of the can. After asking my question 3 times I end up talking to an attorney in their regulatory department! I think that they thought I was an undercover agent trying to find out if Thompsons was breaking any Federal laws…

Once the attorney at Thompsons realized that I was not an undercover spy, but just some crazy horse person who wanted hard hooves on her horse, he spoke guardedly to me. Turns out that formaldehyde is a bad carcinogen and is closely regulated. It has been removed from all consumer products and the likes of you and I cannot buy it anymore.

Lord Helpus - I wonder if the vets can still get formaldahyde?

We used to mix with iodine to make a sole toughener, and we also got straight formaldahyde to - get this - remove elastikon residue! Nothing and I mean NOTHING is better to remove that gunk off hair!

And strangely, we did not die while using it. Of course we didn’t walk into a low ventilation area and snort away, either!

There is another effective - probably MORE effective method of toughening up a sole… There is a product that large mechanic shops use to clean up oil/gas out of water spills. The stuff comes in a sheet or roll - it looks like a tightly woven white felt (that’s as close as I can get to describing it). It may only be about 1/4" thick max. The mechanics I have known call the stuff “diapers” or “tampons” (don’t ask ). It is about as close to 100% water repellent as you can get.

We used to put venice turpentine on the sole, cut out a hoof shaped piece of the stuff, with an inset cut out for the frog, slap it on, and possibly apply some duct tape, but if they were going in the stall, the venice turpentine held it in place pretty well (sometimes up to 24 hours).

The stuff worked as well or better than anything else I ever tried (up to and including vet prepared sole paints). Finding it is a little tougher. Fortunately my BIL works at a large carrier company, but I gather the stuff is precious even to them!

[I]"You can pretend to be serious; you can’t pretend to be witty. "

• Sacha Guitry (1885-1957) *[/I]

Products that I love…

Dermal-gel
Biozide gel
Both are obtained through your vet.

Orvus shampoo. A little goes a long way and it rinses clean. Great for facilities that bath many horses.

Quik braid
Waxed braiding thread
Solo comb
Furacin spray
Ariat boots
Lexol conditioner

Things I have used and hate…
Any medication that is “red, blue, etc”
Wonder dust
Mane Master
Any “spot on” fly treatment

Things I wouldn’t be caught dead with…
Spotted, striped or blotched polo wraps, saddle pads or breeches that look like they belong on safari

Hot pink, neon orange, lime green anything

Repel-X Works for me (as well as anything).

Corta-flx Liquid. Not the cheapest, but Cressy is doing very well at Age 22, with no stiffness, soreness or anything, except loose stifles as a result of EPM.

Leather Therapy Products.

Hooflex: the old stand by still does better than these new fangled hoof cremes.

Not impressed by:
Gold Nugget Shampoos; so “low foaming” that they don’t get the dirt out!

Gnat Away smells nice…even to the bugs!

Absorbine Fly Sprays that “last up to 14 days”. Well, I guess 5 minutes qualifies as “up to” 14 days.

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

Patagonia riding tights ROCK! Those are the best. I would be SO happy if they would bring those back…

Love my Crusader Fly mask (with ears) and Quiet Ride from

SmartPak

My new Mosquito Magnet that sucks up all the skeeters (it was supposed to go to the barn but they are going to have to buy their own - this ones staying in my backyard)

I have to say I love my Ariats. I have about 7 pairs including dress boots, paddocks, clogs and their new sandals and have never had a problem with the quality. And they are sooo comfortable.

Baby pads - what is the point?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by myrna:
what is good to get rid of this?

mm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder Dust!

Let’s see… besides my assortment of Dynamite fly spray and wound products…

Good:
EquinylCM
Hoof Shield
arnica (with or without dmso)
Sore No More!
Farnam’s new SunShield - seems so far to be keeping the exposed parts of my black horse black
Infusium leave-in conditioner, 1:1 with water

Hey SLW - I want to hear more about the leg wraps. I have been VERY tempted to try some, but am afraid with turnout they will slouch too much. The ones with the plastic vein to keep them up scare me, 'cause what if that snaps?

GirlLikeThat – I love mb20! GirlLikeThat is actually my SN somewhere else
~Cass

“Dont let your schooling interfere with your education” – Mark Twain

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JB:
Hey SLW - I want to hear more about the leg wraps. I have been VERY tempted to try some, but am afraid with turnout they will slouch too much. The ones with the plastic vein to keep them up scare me, 'cause what if that snaps?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ones we use are made w/ velcro to keep them on- no hard plastic strip. The mesh fabric is sturdy and mine haven’t fallen when used. I bought them because I was treating some scrapes on the mares legs which needed protection and noticed what a difference they make in reducing the constant stomping because of flys. They have fleece at the top and have a nylon trim at the bottom. I paid $25 for a pair three years ago.

Let me add that my horses are Quarter horses, whom are laid back, and generally don’t create problems. I suspect that on a creative horse or a horse w/ a sense of humor they could become toys to pulled off etc.

SLW
“It is I.”