Unlimited access >

Professional and personal Problem

I’m just starting to train horses/riders now, but I can only take in a few horses and students at the time 21 yo in college (Context). One of my friend’s students wants to come ride with me. she is a young girl who is looking for a more horsemanship based training in the classical style (which he doesn’t have). she is scared atm due to some bad falls, but really wants to keep riding and is making an effort to overcome it. I want her as a student because she has lots of potential, has a strong personality, but is a quiet rider which I love and I have the training style they are looking for. But I would also hate to pick a fight with the trainer and lose him as a friend. what do you guys think? should I just take the student? reject the student?

If trainer A was providing what the student wanted she wouldn’t be looking for trainer B (you).
Is the student concerned about leaving trainer A due to the relationship issues it may/may not cause between you and Trainer A? or because she is afraid of Trainer A?

If someone wants to train with you and you have the interest and the time to do it, then I’d take them on. If they are serious about their riding and you feel you can help, this is a good situation for both of you.

Regarding trainer A, they have to suck it up. Clients come and go for all sorts of reasons. If you try to be professional with everyone, Karma will come back to bite people if they decide to get nasty towards you or the other person.

she’s concerned to stir up problems between us two. The past few lessons she has taken with both of us; riding in the group lessons with him on weekends, and taking private lessons with me on the week. I think this could help make the transition easier? but overall would me keep the student be a “dick move”? I only ask because it is my first time doing this and socializing has never been my strong suit and I’m self-conscious about that type of thing.

YOU aren’t “keeping” them. The student is CHOOSING you over Trainer.

Clients are the ones here with the choice, not the trainers.

[QUOTE=nm724;8014523]
I’m just starting to train horses/riders now, but I can only take in a few horses and students at the time 21 yo in college (Context). One of my friend’s students wants to come ride with me. she is a young girl who is looking for a more horsemanship based training in the classical style (which he doesn’t have). she is scared atm due to some bad falls, but really wants to keep riding and is making an effort to overcome it. I want her as a student because she has lots of potential, has a strong personality, but is a quiet rider which I love and I have the training style they are looking for. But I would also hate to pick a fight with the trainer and lose him as a friend. what do you guys think? should I just take the student? reject the student?[/QUOTE]

If the other trainer is a friend, have a discussion with him- face to face. Has the client discussed with the trainer they are looking elsewhere? I ask because you don’t want to sell out the client if they decided to stay, but if the decision has been made, a conversation with your friend is in order.

They may not mesh professionally. I’d be glad to hand over a student who wasn’t working in my program in this situation, as it makes room for a student who would better fit with my style.

Are you at the same facility as the other trainer?

I would maybe have a talk with that other trainer, and explain that you don’t want to take the student away,and that it isn’t your problem if she does choose you; she just is trying to decide what she wants to do. If he’s a good trainer, he should understand -clients come and they also go!
Good luck to you and that student; I hope you, him, and her get it figured out! :slight_smile:

You can definitely handle this in a way that is professional and will not create hard feelings. I would sit down with the potential student and tell her you really enjoy teaching her and feel like you can help her, however she really needs to have a discussion with her current trainer. Then once she has the discussion, you can have a courtesy conversation/call with the other trainer.

Because honestly, you shouldn’t have to do the student’s dirty work of “breaking up” with her current trainer, and you also shouldn’t just take the student without the other trainer knowing what is going on. The horse world is way to small to step on others toes, especially as a young professional starting out.