Unlimited access >

Professional Rider: Horse Show Fees

I’ve been riding for over 20 years, but just recently got back into training and teaching. After taking a 5 year break from riding, I’m not sure what professional riding fees look like at shows.
Currently I charge $30/ride, but I’m not sure what is the standard rate for shows are. Because I also work a full-time job, and will have to miss work to go to the shows, as much as I want to be nice and charge minimal amounts, I have to take that into consideration. Any suggestions???

I think a lot depends on what your current experience and results are as well as the level of shows you are talking about.

In my last 5 years of riding I competed internationally with Eddie Macken; in my last season I was put on the bill for the 2016 Olympics. At that point, I decided that before I got more serious with riding I wanted to get a degree. So that’s where my 5 year break came from. Before Eddie, I rode with many other well known trainers, and even broke horses for the race-track, and took on ‘problem’ horses for training. The next show I am supposed to compete in is Regionals for the Arabian community. But generally speaking I compete at A circuit shows. Schooling shows I usually just charge my base fee because it’s not usually as involved.

Owners and other trainers will typically price you based on your current results at the level they are seeking a rider for. The resume is fine but does not ride the horse and there are lots of riders looking for paying rides with good credentials. Good, recent results not so much. Venture a guess the range falls between 25-100+ with possible % of prize money if agreed to before hand.

No idea what the going rate in Arabian shows on the Regional level would be. Need to discuss that with your potential client/trainer.

Suspect you’d need multiple rides to equal your expenses plus what you’d make at your regular job on the missed work day(s).

Confused a bit…how were you “put on the bill for the 2016 Olympics” 5 years ago?

I totally understand that. What’s not to say that I have no clue what I’m talking about…kinda hard to prove I do on a forum.

Thanks for the input.

Hard to explain…my coach explained it that the Olympic committee who selects riders for the team was following my progress and suggested to my coach to start training me for that level as I am on the list for candidates for the 2016 Olympics. Didn’t really matter though cause I only finished up that season, then went back to school (I was only 17 at the time).

If you have not competed at all in the last 5 years, I think you are going to have to price yourself very cheap until you have time to build your resume. Keep in mind, until you can show proven results at the shows, you are asking someone to gamble on your ability in the show ring when they are already, most likely, paying a pretty penny already just to be there.

[QUOTE=RockinHorse;8576026]
If you have not competed at all in the last 5 years, I think you are going to have to price yourself very cheap until you have time to build your resume. Keep in mind, until you can show proven results at the shows, you are asking someone to gamble on your ability in the show ring when they are already, most likely, paying a pretty penny already just to be there.[/QUOTE]

Also, just because you are a great rider, that doesn’t mean you are a great teacher. Not saying you aren’t a good teacher, but I have met many great riders that aren’t good teachers at all. Most of them very naturally talented, and it was hard for them to tell you what to do because they “just do it”.

I agree, price yourself cheaply at first but competitive. Your prices will bring many different kinds of people, but the good ones will stick as long as you are what you promise. There is crazy on all payment scales and you will hit the crazy eventually. You can always raise your prices with more exposure. My coach just raised her prices by 10, but she is also now competing and has people/horses winning at higher levels than when she moved here.

As much as I appreciate the criticism…all I was asking for was a standard price that people we’re charging. I am well aware that I have not competed in 5 years, and I believe my prices are more than fair considering I also drive an hour to get to the horses.
Not trying to sound rude, but I was asking for a standard price, not a judgement of my skills.

[QUOTE=mkdavies;8576061]
As much as I appreciate the criticism…all I was asking for was a standard price that people we’re charging. I am well aware that I have not competed in 5 years, and I believe my prices are more than fair considering I also drive an hour to get to the horses.
Not trying to sound rude, but I was asking for a standard price, not a judgement of my skills.[/QUOTE]

There is no standard price - it depends on your skills and desirability.

I think that’s what the posters are trying to say.

Thank you.
A ball park price is something that I can go off of…as an example…if someone is paying a rider with only 5 years experience $50 a day, I can go from that.

for what it’s worth…

I pay a teenager (17) $20/show + $15/class to ride my guy in local hunter shows. She has been riding for about 10 years and is a solid Training-level eventer, with one Prelim under her belt. Not sure if that helps…

If I’m misreading please correct me, but I’m reading you are 23 and quit riding at 17. So you’ve never actually been a professional rider or trainer. If that’s the case and people are willing to pay you thirty bucks to school their horse that sounds quite reasonable.

Id probably show for free just to build a record.

Again, the “Standard rate” fluctuates depending on how well your rides have pinned recently against who at what show. That’s why nobody can quote you a specific price for a 22 year old rider that has not shown in 5 years.

If I were you, Id start at free for show rides. If you currently have schooling rides lined up at 30? Charge that. But don’t see you being able to recoup lost wages at the “real job” until you build a history of good results and satisfied owner/trainer relationships.

Theres not a deep bench of talent in the Jumpers (assume that’s what you rode as a Junior) based around where you are now located. There’s a few but nothing like other areas closer to major circuits plus the shows that might need your talents are fewer and more seasonal then other areas. So if you are serious about getting back in as a Pro rider? Might look for an area richer in opportunities for paid catch riding.

[QUOTE=mkdavies;8576079]
Thank you.
A ball park price is something that I can go off of…as an example…if someone is paying a rider with only 5 years experience $50 a day, I can go from that.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I have paid:

Trainer with multiple years of A/AA circuit experience, still a growing business (been in this area for 5ish years now), however still relatively new in terms of speaking as a “trainer” (ie. not 30 years training experience). She concentrates on hunters/equitation, however she does have great success in the jumper rings. No GP experience, but that isn’t a deal breaker for me. Many connections. Great quality of instruction. Located in TX. - $55 per lesson/rail fee/schooling fee.

Trainer with 30+ years experience. Many years in the hunters and big jumpers. However, switched her love to Fox Hunting and has since moved to that. However, still very experienced in proper training of a horse and rider. Knows many big names and has trained under some incredible people. Doesn’t do as many shows, if any, really focuses on Fox Hunting. Great facilities. Great horses. Will travel to some shows if enough students want to go. Located in NV. - $50 per lesson/day fee/schooling.

Trainer with multiple years of show and training experience. Has developed many great hunter riders and GP riders. Has also developed many great hunter horses and GP horses. Riders win in ALL rings. She doesn’t show as much anymore, however she has a team of people that do. Has current riders in all rings and a few horses/riders at the GP level. Located on the West Coast. - Private lesson $80. Group lesson $50. Schooling ride $75. Semi-Private Lesson $65. Day fees $50 if the horse is in training. Day fees if the horse is not in training $100.

Trainer that has been riding for “16 years” with multiple great names. Does problem horses, experience in multiple disciplines. Has had success OTTB retraining. Has had success with green horses. Doesn’t show a ton of A/AA because clientele isn’t there, however does to go local shows. Mainly does the jumpers but does find success in the hunter and eq ring. Trainer works as at trainer to pay way through school. Decent rider but she has a great eye and her students do well and are happy. No school horses. Travels to many clients. Located on the West Coast. - $30 lesson. $25 schooling ride. $30 day fee.

There just isn’t a base number. It is about your experience. It is about your location. It is about what you bring to the table. No one is looking to criticize your skill, but it is meant to put a value to your name. If you were starting to look at Rio 5 years ago (at 17), that must have meant you were jumping at a decent level. However, jump height means nothing when it comes to training and teaching ability.

Another option for you, wanting to start as a professional in AZ, is to maybe take a trip to HITS and go talk to Julie Winkle. She has a good intern program, and many of her graduates are now professionals with big named barns.

Thank you Belmont.
Very helpful information! I understand I don’t have much recent experience, and it is hard to determine someone’s skill over the internet.
I will definitely utilize your information and input!

In my area, which I think has a fairly comparable market to AZ, training rides tend to average $30-65, same for schooling at a show per day (riding or training), per horse. Lesson fees also in the same range. Show rides (meaning, in classes) range from free (entries paid) to $50/class.

Within the 30-65 range, sometimes you find that within the same barn via training package discounts as compared to a-la-carte rides/private lessons.

The above is for H/J programs that do local circuit and A/AA shows. I don’t know if there are any differences in price scale for Arabian circuit. As others have said, you will likely have to start towards the lower end. You might be able to make some of that up at shows by also charging for travel/hotel/food. Perhaps at first, you may only be able to recoup expenses and not actually make much. In the short term, that will not help you regarding the taking time off from your other job, but it could be worth it in the long run for you to take this hit to establish your business. It depends on your goals, though. Are you looking at training/riding full time? Or will you always be juggling the other job? If the latter, then maybe you should stick to marketing yourself more for the schooling/local weekend shows.

Thanks for the input!
I’m hoping to quit my full-time job by next year and do this full-time, which is what I did in the past.
I have no problem paying my dues, I’ve already done it for years, just don’t want to low-ball myself, or charge too much.

[QUOTE=mkdavies;8576256]
Thanks for the input!
I’m hoping to quit my full-time job by next year and do this full-time, which is what I did in the past.
I have no problem paying my dues, I’ve already done it for years, just don’t want to low-ball myself, or charge too much.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to argue but confused about what you “did in the past full time” if you quit riding at 17 and that was 5 years ago. Are you talking running a teaching/training business or being paid for rides on a free lance basis?

I paid 40 for flat schooling rides, 50 for jump schools, 60ish for AA show rides over fences. All riders were full time Pros with extensive experience (including a former USET East Finals winner) over many years. At unrated local shows it was about half that and the riders were young assistants, WS or other kid clients who rode for free or even paid the fees just to get the ride on a good horse.

[QUOTE=findeight;8576352]
Not trying to argue but confused about what you “did in the past full time” if you quit riding at 17 and that was 5 years ago. Are you talking running a teaching/training business or being paid for rides on a free lance basis?

I paid 40 for flat schooling rides, 50 for jump schools, 60ish for AA show rides over fences. All riders were full time Pros with extensive experience (including a former USET East Finals winner) over many years. At unrated local shows it was about half that and the riders were young assistants, WS or other kid clients who rode for free or even paid the fees just to get the ride on a good horse.[/QUOTE]

Between 17 and 23 I worked training horses full-time and went to school part-time until I moved to Arizona to complete my degree. It is really confusing, but it is how I paid for school.

As I’ve said in previous replies, I have extensive experience riding as well. In Canada you can stay an amateur rider until 18 even if you’re getting paid, so I was never competing as a “pro”. Either way, I think I have the information I need. I know what my abilities are, and per the prices given it seems like I am being more than fair with my prices, and I will just continue on that path.

A BNR (big name rider) gets between $75 and $150 a ride at shows. A good “barn rider” (who usually only rides horses from the barn she teaches at) gets about $50/ride at an AA show.

I do not think you can factor in lost wages from your other job. The people paying you for rides do not care if you have another job