Unlimited access >

Project hunter pony sickle hocked?

I found this little black AQHA pony (turning 4 in February), but she is sickle hocked. She has a great mind, sound, super sure footed, but she has slight sickle hocks. Should this be a concern? Do you think she will break down easily?

It’s impossible to really judge her conformation from those pictures however she does not appear to be sound in that video.

I agree on both the above comments: poor photos for conformation (at an angle) and horse looks uneven behind when trotting.

Her stance in the pictures tells me she’s not a happy camper, and her video proves it. She’s really sore.

While she might be a little conformationally sickle-hocked, she is not obviously so. She only appears like she is because her discomfort is making her pull her hind legs under her.

You cannot accurately judge whether a horse is sickle hocked or camped out until you put, or try to put, the hocks under the point of the butt. If they are there, and the cannon bones angle forward, that’s sickle hocked. If they are behind the horse with a vertical cannon bone, that gives you camped out.

She looks like she has either a sore back or bilateral hind leg lameness from that photo. She’s also extremely butt high. Almost looks like stifle issues?
I wouldn’t touch her. She is clearly unsound and almost drags the right hind over the jump.

Well, I don’t see sickle hocked but do see what looks like a capped hock and a lame behind Pony, watch her steps behind, one side takes a shorter step then the other, big clue. She does seem to warm up out of it but it should be evaluated by a vet before the Pony is asked to do any more work with a rider, certainly before it jumps or shows again.

Even if it were sound, it moves very short due to hip and shoulder angles, probably happier with another job not based on a good gallop it can’t produce.

She is a bit butt high, because she is still growing (almost 4 QH). The rider was keeping her from extending and before we took the video she has a nice trot and really moves out-- she’s a cute mover. We’re going to get a soundness exam done, but to me I do not see any obvious lameness- she isn’t limping per say- I can see what your saying about the stiffness, but I believe her right rear foot sticks out because it is white and the video is dark. She is very sure footed. She did hit that jump with her hind foot, but that was because she was being lazy. Thanks everyone for your input, I appreciate it. I don’t want to get stuck with a money pit.

I’m sorry the confirmation photos are bad-- I wasn’t able to take any-- I know they are poor, though:/

OP, the horse is lame. She is not even in her movement behind, which equals some degree of lameness. She doesn’t need to be limping to be considered lame.

She does not appear to be sickle hocked, but she is quite rump high. I would be cautious about taking a horse who is A) unsound, and B) being jumped this early with an unsoundness that multiple people here have picked out.

I’d pass, but obviously you do what you wish.

[QUOTE=findeight;7913016]
Well, I don’t see sickle hocked but do see what looks like a capped hock and a lame behind Pony,[/QUOTE]

Left hock? It looks that way to me too but it’s difficult to tell in the photos.

This pony is off. It’s got nothing to do with the color of the foot.

The pony is obviously lame - hope he gets checked out by a vet before you ask more of him, not fair to poor pony

We just had a vet check and soundness exam and the vet said she is 100% sound and not sickle hocked, but infact just camped under. He said she’s a super nice pony. Thanks all for your input! I appreciate it and am glad to hear that the vet says she’s all good. :slight_smile:

Interesting.

[QUOTE=live2ridehorsez98;7921888]
We just had a vet check and soundness exam and the vet said she is 100% sound and not sickle hocked, but infact just camped under. He said she’s a super nice pony. Thanks all for your input! I appreciate it and am glad to hear that the vet says she’s all good. :)[/QUOTE]

At the time of this video this pony was unquestionably lame. I would run the other way from this pony and any vet who considers her sound. Please don’t let your excitement blind you to the reality that this pony will likely be the money pit you’re trying to avoid.

[QUOTE=live2ridehorsez98;7921888]
We just had a vet check and soundness exam and the vet said she is 100% sound and not sickle hocked, but infact just camped under. He said she’s a super nice pony. Thanks all for your input! I appreciate it and am glad to hear that the vet says she’s all good. :)[/QUOTE]
I’d be looking for a new vet.

“just camped under” is not a normal, healthy stance. The pony is standing that way because she’s uncomfortable behind, and possibly up front as well.

What did the vet do, exactly? Did she watch the horse on a lunge, on straight lines, w/t, flex tests? Has she seen the horse under saddle, where it’s clear she’s not sound?

Yeah…new vet if he says that pony is sound…Looked very sore behind.