Unlimited access >

Proper compensation for ranch hand

No. the farm owners do not need to take into account of where the farm workers live. The workers themselves have to take into account of the demand driving two times to work, and whether the compensation is proper. And any savvy farm owners should know that if they want to keep the farm hands, they had better compensate for the pain and expenses of driving two times to work a day. Otherwise, yeah, the workers will just “find another job.” That is the question of the OP, I believe.

2 Likes

The OP’s question is whether or not he/she is being properly compensated for the work. Someone asked how far he or she travels, and an answer was provided. But no further comment from OP about the commute expense. So maybe it is a nonfactor.

The employer would have to hire and manage 2 different people if they couldn’t find someone willing to come out 2x a day – I think that makes her a more valued/compensated employee than not. So I would add a premium to whatever the going rate might be. Is there any opportunity to barter or have other perks that could make up for a salary shortfall?

2 Likes

The OP likely doesn’t come under employee/employer labor law and wouldn’t be subject to minimum pay requirements. There’s been some changes here in CA in the last year regarding employee v independent contractor. I’m not clear on those changes.

A 20-minute commute one way in CA is a nothingburger. It’s like a dream commute here in the land of freeways and traffic.

As an employer, I would increase the pay for a reliable employee that performs well. Particularly, for a twice a day position. That kind of person is hard to find. OP sounds like you’re not doing other horse related work like grooming, bathing, lunging, barn and grounds maintenance, cleaning tack etc. If you can take any of that on and have the time - you might be able to get an increase.