Unlimited access >

Proper compensation for ranch hand

Hi everyone,

I am currently a part time ranch hand in Southern California and I’m wondering if I am being compensated properly for the job I’m doing.

My responsibilities include:

Feeding 5 horses and 2 goats 2X per day
Turn out horses in the AM and put back in stalls PM
Preparing and feeding supplements
Cleaning 5 stalls 2X per day
Filling/dumping/scrubbing water buckets
Cleaning turn out area/arena in the evenings
Clean out goat pen 2X per week
Take out 8 manure trash cans 1X per week

I am at the ranch two times a day, morning & evening.
It takes me about 20 mins driving each way to get there and back home.
I am currently paid a flat rate of $35 per day which I have been happy with, but I am wondering if I should be paid more or if this is the going rate.

Thanks in advance for any input!

How long does it take you to complete all of those tasks?
Do you drive back and forth for each shift?

It takes me roughly 2 hours in the morning and 1 hour at night. I drive back and forth for each shift.

It sounds low to me ($35 divided by approx 4.5 hr/day = $7.80/hr), but it’s your opinion on that that matters. Are you giving up other better-paid opportunities, either in the horse industry or not, to do this ranch hand job? You might do better to research similar job postings in your area to understand if it’s the going market rate.

2 Likes

Is the $35/day before or after taxes? That is $11.67 an hour, which isn’t compensating you for your drive time. That is over what many consider the “going rate” of $10/hr for farm help.

2 Likes

Darn. How did they find you? I was paying someone $20 to come to my place, once a day, for less than half of what you do (2 stalls - in and out stalls so picking is breeze, no turning horses in or out since they live out 24x7, no turnout picking, feed 5 horses, fill 2 water troughs, no goat:)). The work is probably 30 minutes/day. And I thought Oklahoma was supposed to be cheaper than California? How much are you making after filling your gas?

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with special rules for ranch hands, so unless those specifies otherwise your commute should only be a factor to you, not the employer. The compensation doesn’t sound unfair for menial labor with no special skills needed, but you are an at will employee so if you find other places pay better nothing is keeping you there.

Also, not sure how long you’ve been doing this job but if you’re relatively new eventually you will probably be able to do it in less time. Or take on more responsibilities, at which time you can ask for more pay.

1 Like

For me it seems low because you’re making two trips (instead of doing all the work in one trip). I think most people don’t have to go to work twice every day to complete their work, and I think that adds value to the person who’s making the two trips. So I’d pay more for that. But I’m looking at it from the farm owner point of view, not the worker.

I’m in middle TN, and I’ll be paying a horse sitter $25 a day for about 45 minutes of work (one trip daily - no stalls, no arena, no goats). Just feed three horses, fill up hay stations, check water, pick poop out of run-in sheds and make sure everyone is okay. And I thought that was a steal!

Commute time does not factor in to calculating the hourly rate.

6 Likes

Agree with @Palm Beach , in any other job, UNLESS you’re commuting between locations or it’s part of your job description, the employer does not compensated you for getting yourself to and from work. It’s your choice to take a job 5 mins or 20 mins or 60 mins away from your place of residence.

However, it seems a little low for your area? That’s a guess to be honest. I’m in a rural mid-Atlantic area and was paying a late-teen $10/hour for similar work. She up and left after finding “a real job”…wish I had a replacement, she was a lifesaver!

It does sound like the ranch owner is getting a bargain due to getting 2 trips per day.

$35. sounds about right for one trip per day. A friend here pays $25. per day, one trip for 4-5 stalls only. No feeding,

no turnout, no goats. Maybe time to re-negotiate.

I am on the East coast where the cost of living is probably slightly lower. I start people out at $10/hour and fairly quickly go to $12, once they have proven that they know what they are doing and I do not have to be checking up on them. The man with me now is at $14/hour, but he has been here for over 5 years and knows the routine. I can leave for a week at a time and not worry about the horses or the farm.

1 Like

No but for most people it factors into deciding whether the hourly rate is acceptable or not. A forty minute roundtrip commute to an $88 job is probably worth it; an eighty minute commute to a $35 one almost certainly isn’t unless OP gets other benefits (boarding there and rides her horse on the same trip or something.) IME one to two hour jobs like this typically pay a substantially higher hourly rate ($15-$20/ hour) or flat rate for this reason.

Maybe OP really likes the job and it’s worth it to her, but I know I found it hard to justify when I could make more money as a cashier at a convenience store that is half as far away and a quarter as much work.

4 Likes

The $10/hr is the going rate in my area of SoCal. for basic ranch hand work. Some pay less. OP you might suggest to the BO to look into a bin rental for the refuse. The truck just needs access to picking it up. It’s likely cheaper and a lot easier than hauling all those cans.

You were estimating your time spent. Suggest you keep a record of how long it takes each day for a week. Then you’ll know if you’re actually being paid $10/hr. Don’t include your drive time in that calculation. But, do factor it in for yourself. That way you’ll know what your net is and can decide if it’s enough.

If this is your only income I doubt you’ll hit the benchmark for declaring taxes. But, you should know what that benchmark is so you don’t run afoul of the IRS.

I think it is a pretty fairy hourly rate for stall mucking, turnout, and feeding. How long have you been with them?

The issue isn’t the hourly rate. The issue is the driving twice a day to make that hourly rate. That is twice of the gas, car wear and tear, time commitment for nothing. Unless, of course, OP just wants to spend time with animals.

3 Likes

No, the issue is whether or not she is being properly compensated as a ranch hand in her area. Lots of people have very lengthy commutes - it’s one of the factors you take into account when deciding whether or not to accept a job. OP knew the location of the job when he/she accepted it. You are free to live where you want, so choosing to work a distance from where you live, or choosing to live a distance from where you work is on you. You are also free to find another job that is closer, or pays better. I get the feeling OP is young and lives at home with parents, and possibly has limited time to work due to school. But, not my business.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ve been doing ranch work a long time, just want to see if I’m being compensate properly for this specific job. Most ranches I’ve worked for have been one trip per day so I want to make sure I’m getting a fair rate. This is not my only job and I am aware that my boss is not responsible for my drive time/commute. But I do factor that in with my overall pay as to how much I’m making/spending monthly for the job. I am not a newbie, I’m thoroughly experienced and the ranch owner has no worries with me there, and has left on trips with peace of mind that the animals are cared for. I’ve never called out and have been very reliable, I’m coming up on 4 months of working at this ranch and was contemplating asking for a slight increase in pay. This is NOT an hourly job and that was discussed prior to my hiring. It is a flat daily rate. I do have a horse but he is not boarded there and there are no additional benefits with the job. I could go get a “real job” but working outside with the horses is what I love to do so this is the type of work I choose. Thank you all for your input!!

1 Like

I live on my own, this is not my only job and I’m not in school. I guess your feeling was incorrect :wink:

5 Likes

Minimum wage in California is now $11/hr and the county of Los Angeles is now $12/hr for small employers and $13.25 for large ones.

It’s going up 50 cents a year until it gets to $15/hr, so you should keep that in mind as well.