Unlimited access >

Proposed Law Affecting Dogs and Cats in Florida

If I am reading this correctly, people would not be able to drive alone with their dog in the vehicle.

As someone who has spent thousands on my catā€™s opthalmology treatments, I agree with never allowing your dog to hang his head out the window. But this will be difficult to enforce. Cannot understand declawing. Barn dogs riding on the Gator or pickup, fine. They are not exposed to flying debris.

During Covid we (the clients) would have the techs bring our animals into the clinic. ($350 initial office feeā€“you think barn calls are expensive?). While waiting we would visit with one another and discuss our petsā€™ issues. I must have met 10 clients whose dogs were in for treatment because of trauma from hanging their heads out of windows. Many of them arrived or departed in goggles (and seat restraints).

5 Likes

I believe the article contains typos. ā€œā€¦secured in a size appropriate crate and in a harness or pet seat belt and under supervisionā€¦ā€ Substitute the ā€œandsā€ for ā€œorsā€ and it makes more sense. Really, my dogs are crated in the car. How would I be even able to harness them in the crate. Most likely sloppy reporting or drafting.

4 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks.

Fl drivers are one of the worse drivers out there. I have seen people make left handed turns from the RIGHT lane and right handed turns from the left, they run red lights, speed like they are being chased by a zombie parade, zig and zag out of traffic, drive with expired tags, no insurance and have no concern for other drivers on the road. And the cops donā€™t care they are too busy doing other more important jobs.

I was single most of my adult life, so if my dog needed to go to the vet or go with me on a trip to my parents house I need to have driving buddy? ā€œand be under supervision from someone other than the driverā€ So single people canā€™t have dogs???

I do agree dogs should not be on laps while the car is in motion, it hinders steering. And with all the wacky drivers out there you need to be quick sometimes!

I am all for banning cat declawing. Any vet that does that hates animals and should not be a vet.

I lived in FL for nearly 20 yrs this is nuts, I am so glad I moved out.

2 Likes

I live in FL and I agree with the majority of this bill. The headline is sensationalistic. Irresponsible journalism.

2 Likes

Not seeing anything wrong in that bill. And I usually think legislation is overreaching with animals. And pretty much everything else.
In the version of the article I read, the critical sentence has an ā€˜orā€™. That is the animal must be restrained/caged safely OR under the supervision of someone other than the driver.

3 Likes

I support this. Hope it passes. People let their dogs fall out of the window or slip and slide in the back of their truck. Itā€™s terrible how people treat their animals. There are times I want to follow idiots like that and call the police. I donā€™t do it, because most people around here are armed to the teeth.

Really with the amount of gunfire in this neighborhood you would think people are prepping for a war. Someone was shooting a gun off while I was riding this morning and again a couple hours laterā€¦

People are dumb. Thank heavens for the alert truck driver.

What about the headline is sensational? The law would, in fact, ā€œban dogs from hanging their heads out of car windows.ā€ Seems like a normal headline to me.

Iā€™m impressed with this billā€¦weā€™ll see if it passes.

1 Like