Unlimited access >

ProStride for the SI?

Anyone have experience using ProStride for SI joint issues? Or anything other than steroids?

I posted some time ago about some strange performance issues my horse was experiencing. He had possibly tweaked something on import just over a year ago, had a couple bad slip/spook/splat things last winter/spring when it was difficult to get a vet or chiro out due to COVID restrictions, and he had a fall at a show in August due to the perfect combination of poor riding on my part and poor footing.

Muddying the waters were a couple of colics (one requiring hospitalization), possible ulcers, and IAD symptoms seemingly triggered by wildfire particulates and excessive temperatures. Among the usual minor bumps and dings that horses tend to do to themselves.

Worst performance followed a very awkward spook/splat (spooked at a walk, tried to do the splay leg thing but wasnā€™t sure if he wanted to spin, knuckled over badly behind) in April at a particularly loud snow bomb. Couldnā€™t get chiro out for some time. Chiro did improve things a lot, but canter performance deteriorated, and he was chronically sore behind. Injected the SI in June but did not get very far in terms of conditioning before the bad colic. And then just started the upswing from that before the crash and the worst of the fires. A few weeks following the fall, he was tripping, grinding his teeth, leaning and rooting (his usual default is to be light to inverted in the bridle), barely able to canter, fell to his knees a couple of times during vet exams, had shifting lameness that didnā€™t flex positive or block out. Ruled out a lot of possibilities in the airway, EPM, etc. Some (IMO aggressive) chiro work gave him a lot of relief. Started back feeling more like himself/his usual personality. Shifting lameness gone although he doesnā€™t move symmetrically one direction vs the other.

Moved south for the winter to help his lungs recover and to get some snow free turnout. Continued to work on treating his back/working up axial skeleton issues. Overall he has improved a lot and now we are kind of back where we were pre-SI injections. Finally found something that makes sense:

L5-L6 are fused. Because of his conformation, very little of this area is visible on our PPE X-rays (sprung ribs, too much meat in this area). We could see the dorsal spinous processes were close, but it appears the body of the vertebrae are fused including transverse processes. No disc appreciable between. L4-L5 are close-ish dorsally but look ok otherwise. L6-S1 forms kid of a V resulting in the disc bulging dorsally. And finally, there seems to be some significant changes in the right SI joint even though heā€™s been more sore at the left. Looks like a spur forming or something. Very irregular. Left side looks normal. Vet thinks the SI changes could have happened recently, like months not years ago. I suspect the lower lumbar could have already been fused/fusing since what we can see on X-ray shows no changes from PPE. Who knows about the sacral disc. No signs of ligament damage or any other soft tissue problems. Due to his conformation, itā€™s not really possible to image the lumbar facets.

Vet thinks steroid would not last very long. Goal is to try to finally get him stronger and drop a few lbs, but I think he needs some sort of pain relief to help him work better. He is willing (he is a good boy), but limited. And working while compensating has only been making his left side sore. I donā€™t know if steroid would last ā€œlong enoughā€ provided he doesnā€™t have some other major setback like last summerā€™s colic.

Vets are suggesting ProStride. I have not done any biologics on this horse, and I have some concerns about an adverse reaction being a little more likely with a biologic, given the anatomical area involved. Wondering if anyone has done this.

No experience on pro stride for SI. Iā€™ve only had steroids injected there in horses previously.

I am curious what diagnostics were used? I have a big warmblood with chronic lumbar soreness that is also built in a way that it is hard to get good lumbar rads.

We did X-rays (PPE), then external ultrasound, and finally trans-rectal ultrasound. I havenā€™t had trans-rectal ultrasound be super helpful in the past for another horse with SI problems, and you canā€™t image a lot that way, but we did at least find things that made sense with his issues.

We have looked at his other spinal joints and no arthritis was found. Only comment was his cervical facets were quite large, but this horse seems to have big bulky joints everywhere considering he is not the biggest boned WB. Like big knobby ankles under fairly dainty cannons. Extra large feet too. But nothing wrong with the joints that we could find. Which suggests that he probably doesnā€™t have OA and the SI issue was trauma related. Supposedly some changes like fusion/pre-fusion in the lumbar are common. We had considered that he has OA in between the transverse processes, but his look totally fused at L5-6. Maybe thereā€™s something at L4-5 (?) but you canā€™t image those on Xray and they looked normal on ultrasound.

Iā€™ve had a couple other vets now say theyā€™d use ProStride for this, so Iā€™m going to go with the recommendation later this week. Fingers crossed!

Good luck! Please update afterwards.

My horse has had an external ultrasound of the lumbar area with no notable findings. A transrectal ultrasound wasnā€™t brought up as an option at the time, but good to know itā€™s an option.

You canā€™t see a lot that way, but you can see sometimes as cranially as L4 (we did, kind of a stretch). We didnā€™t find any abnormalities on the external ultrasound except that when we viewed the transverse processes, we could tell that the L5-L6 were likely fused. We could not image any more of the dorsal processes than X-ray could or see that facet because this horse is rather broad and beefy in that area. He did seem to present like he could have a dorsal SI ligament injury, so we checked for that and looked at the supraspinous ligament. I also looked at his neck and withers (heā€™s got slightly crooked withers that cause their own issues) since he was also tripping a lot. So, we crossed a lot off the list with the external ultrasound at least.

The vet needs a special probe for the transrectal ultrasound, and not all vets are super comfortable interpreting them. What we found seemed pretty obvious, but we sent several images off to the radiologist that reviewed my PPE as well for his opinion.

Any update OP? My mare has been struggling with SIs and Iā€™ve used steroids in the ā€˜bad oneā€™ and looking at doing both SIs with Prostride and a muscle treatment (injection) in the lumbar area. Itā€™s a solid investment so Iā€™d love to hear your experience?

We did go with ProStride, and had great results! I did have to repeat it a couple of times to keep the inflammation under control while going through the rehab process and allowing it time to hopefully do some healing of the area. But he got back to showing over jumps and was doing some hard work in our dressage lessons. Considering all I got out of steroid injections was colic and a 3 day stay at the hospital with this horse, Iā€™d say ProStride is the thing for him.

He broke his scapula last December in a paddock accident, and now that we are doing some canter work again, I can tell the hind end needs maintenance. But we havenā€™t done more ProStride yet. Heā€™s getting Adequan (also a very good product for this horse), and his chiro is making a huge difference. I expect that he will need SI injections done again at some point, since 10 months in the stall has not been good for his back at all.

The downside to it would be that it is probably not the best product for widespread muscle soreness in the area. Thatā€™s where some diluted steroids can be infused in the area for a broader anti-inflammatory effect. The volume of product for ProStride is quite small. Worked for me where we identified a particular problem that could be targeted. Although we did treat both joints as the opposite side can get more sore from compensating. Other horses with more generalized, widespread pain or an issue that canā€™t be seen on the imaging we have available might do fine or better with steroids. Or perhaps (for one like mine who apparently doesnā€™t tolerate steroids well), maybe using shockwave or some other therapy in conjunction with the injections to target the muscle portion.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! I have used Prostride in other areas for my mare with success. She went through phases of malnurishment in formative years and its come back as a lot of arthritis in various joints. As we get one better, the next thing pops up. Sheā€™s had prostride in fetlocks, main hock joint and stifle thus far, likely SIs this week and possibly in neck at a future TBD date as well. Sheā€™s young enough still (12 years old) that I want to focus on limiting the progression and degradation wherever possible which is why Iā€™ve been choosing prostride over steroids generally. My vet admitted that there is less research on using Prostride in spine and SIs compared to other joints, but she still thinks itā€™s the better option. It does cost a lot more (Ontario), but so far itā€™s done its job perfectly where weā€™ve put it and the first prostride injections are over 15 months old and no re-injections yet.
How much time were you getting between Prostride injections during his rehab? Did you go back to unmounted rehab?

Following, as biologics were mentioned as a possible therapy choice for my mareā€™s SI.
Did a little perusing, came across this, which is pretty new:

specifically, the chart at the bottom showing the anti-inflammatory/regenerative effects of each. Curious if anyoneā€™s vet has brought up this ACP, A2M product?

I did not do any unmounted rehab for that horse, because he isnā€™t one to start bucking and whatnot (definitely had some horses with SI issues who were but not this guy), and he takes a fair amount of encouragement to build strength. The first injections lasted about 2 months when a dog spooked him and we did a quick teleport sideways on a hill which resulted in him straining the area again. We were able to isolate pain to the right SI (where the spur is) at that time, so we redid the injections + Adequan. We then went about another 6 months when the lead changes started to get sticky as I was gearing up for some shows, and so one more round including some in the lumbar area + Adequan + chiro at that time. He was doing fabulously 3-4 months later when he had his paddock accident.

1 Like

I will add that when I did the second round of ProStride, I also put some in an ankle thatā€™s got a little cartilage defect, and thatā€™s been totally fine since. I think based on the lumbar fusion and other stuff, this horse could need some ongoing maintenance, but itā€™s unfair to say how often since we have this other injury which put him on lengthy stall rest which of course was terrible for his back and SI. Still waiting to see how far we come back from that. Iā€™ve had a horse with chronically arthritic/degenerative SI joints, and we did steroids every 6 months on him, as he responded very well to steroids (and did have one flare reaction to a biologic for another issue).

1 Like

There was a thread on that here. My vets havenā€™t brought it up for anything for my horses (and based on quick read, probably not appropriate for what Iā€™m dealing with).

1 Like

Ha! I read that article recently and discussed all those options with my vet. Honestly, itā€™s all a crapshoot in terms of what they respond to. Iā€™ve used steroids/ha, ProStride and Noltrex (stifles only) and only steroid/serapin for SI. Honestly all of these products are helpful, but in different ways and for varying lengths of time. My usual mantra is to keep using what works until it doesnā€™t and move up the chain from there. Iā€™m definitely not in a position to be injecting biologics every few months and Iā€™d probably rethink the horses job if I had to.

2 Likes