Unlimited access >

Protective Vest replacement interval question

I just read the FAQ on the Tipperary Equestrian website, where it states that a vest should be replaced after a fall or impact (as with helmets), and at five year intervals otherwise.

http://phoenixperformance.com/tipperary/?page_id=6

Is this accurate? My husband and I wear protective vests while riding, although we are not eventers. We haven’t had any falls, but it’s been close to five years since we purchased our vests. I understand about replacing helmets due to aging of the materials, and we do that regularly.

We wear the Tipperary Ride-Lite vests for recreational riding, mostly trail riding and training dressage. We live in a warm, often humid, climate and require vests that are comfortable when worn for extended periods of time in those conditions.

I’m open to suggestions for possible replacements, if our current vests are considered aged - would prefer one that didn’t make me feel as though I’m risking heatstroke wearing it while on a summer trail ride.

I don’t think vests need to be replaced as often as every 5 years, but I don’t know what an appropriate interval would be, if any. Mine is way older than 5, and still appears to be in fine shape structurally. I have been toying with the idea of replacing it.

Oh Lord! These companies are jumping on the helmet bandwagon and feeding off the hysteria that you need to replace things the minute you drop them on a feather bed. It’s a great marketing ploy to sell more product. I’m not buying it. If your vests are more than 10 years old, I could see updating to current technology. I get new stuff for cosmetic reasons and not functionality.

I was unaware that regularly-scheduled replacement of vests was a thing. I get that the materials used in helmets are one-and-done after impact or degrade with time, but I thought vests basically only protect against soft tissue injuries, is that not so?

Ours seem fine - a little dingy on the surface that doesn’t clean up like new, but the padding, zippers, velcro adjustments, etc., all seem to work. This made me wonder, however, if the foam is getting old to the point that, if one of us suffers an impact, it’s going to fall apart/shred/whatever and offer reduced protection.

At first glance, I figured this was a fear-mongering marketing ploy, but wanted to check if there was actually something in it. After several tries this morning, I haven’t been able to get the Charles Owen site to load to check out what might be said there about replacement intervals, and didn’t see anything about it on the Ridesafe site linked in another thread, at least upon cursory inspection.

I ride in a very ancient Tipperary vest. I haven’t fallen off in it so I have no idea if it would do me any good, but it accomplishes one thing: mandatory vest for x-c. Not saying it’s a good idea, but . . .

Not scientific, but I figure if you squish the padding between your fingers and it crumbles away, time to replace it. If it bounces back (or whatever its supposed to do…), it’s fine… Also, I try not to keep mine (and this goes for my helmet too) in the car b/c I figure the intense heat in a closed car can’t be good for the materials. I don’t keep them in the car in the winter either, but that’s more for my comfort :slight_smile:

If we had to replace a vest after any fall, we would have more money in vests than horses.

I think that statement is more about protecting themselves in regards to liability/lawsuits than actual need to replace your vest that frequently (especially the fall statement).

I bought a new KAN last year, but prior to that I was wearing a Tipperary that was about 15 years old? Granted it had pretty light use for the first 10 years or so when I just used it to “play” eventer with occasional schools. But the number of falls that thing saw in the last 5 years would have left me broke replacing it every time. :lol: I still have it as a back up vest, as well as an even older Tipp that we bought used at a tack sale. That way, I always have vests on hand to loan to friends for schooling or who want to try eventing but aren’t ready to jump in financially for equipment.

Okay, sounds like the consensus seems to be that requiring vest replacement after every impact or in five years, regardless of impact-free history, of a vest in otherwise good repair is a crock.

If I come across any scientific research that backs up the replacement recommendations, I’ll post something.

If vests use the same foam material as helmets do, and you ride outside in your vest often, then you may want to replace your vests every few years anyways. UV radiation degrades the foam in helmets, which of course will make them less effective in the event of an accident.

[QUOTE=GutsNGlory;8658915]

But the number of falls that thing saw in the last 5 years would have left me broke replacing it every time. :lol: I still have it as a back up vest, as well as an even older Tipp that we bought used at a tack sale. That way, I always have vests on hand to loan to friends for schooling or who want to try eventing but aren’t ready to jump in financially for equipment.[/QUOTE]

I also have an elderly Tipp that has seen a lot of falls. I love it–it is so light and comfortable. And it does seem to protect–I definitely have had more body soreness when I fell sans vest vs with vest. Mine is also in semi-retirement. I have a Harry Hall that I ordered from the UK, which is very similar to CO but cheaper.