Unlimited access >

Prototype Stallion

I’m seriously considering purchasing a Prototype baby and would love to know what peoples experiences have been with him, especially those who have babies by him that are going under saddle!

I was waiting for someone else to respond but as a breeder I have been staying away from him. I quite like the stallion but I know a number of horses of various ages with either chips or what seems like brittle bones. I will say all the ones I know came from the same breeding program so there is a potential nutrition factor. But it’s enough as a mare owner to make me pause before I breed to him.

I’ll let someone else comment on their personalities/ trainability ect…

Okay thank you!

Is that the stallion owner? I always thought they had excellent care there?

I know of one, bred by a friend of mine. I think he’s 4yo this year. He’s got a good brain and is sweet, but matured much smaller (in height and refinement) than expected. The dam wasn’t a chunk, but the gelding looks like he’ll finish smaller than her 16.hh, which is disappointing to his tall owner. And while he’s cute, he’s not one that you see in pasture and want to take a second look. Average mover.

It’s very easy to provide excellent care, and miss the boat on the details of the nutrition.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t consider that excellent care though imo.

1 Like

My experiences with Prototype offspring have all been great. I’m a huge fan and own a youngster myself. All the ones I’ve known are in-your-pocket friendly and have excellent brains. They also seem to be great jumpers and nice movers, especially in the canter. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

I am not aware of soundness issues; the ones I know all seem to be very hardy. Prototype is now standing at a different farm than he was a couple of years ago, so I’m not sure which one @Espionage is talking about.

Bumping this older thread up. I’m looking at Prototype as potential stallion to breed to. Saw a comment made about possibility of some of his offspring having chips or brittle bones and wanted to see if anyone else has an opinion or experience with it?

He’s one of the three stallions I like but this comment gave me a bit of a pause so would be nice to hear others opinions on health of offspring.

What qualities does he tend to stamp in his get?

There’s one in my barn, and he’s absolutely lovely. Super brain, very trainable, gorgeous hunter mover. He’s very competitive on the A circuit, he’s young and doing the 2’6. He matured to a solid 16 hands and is the barn favorite. A good friend has another Prototype baby who also has a super brain, all the ones I’ve known have been ammy-friendly and very good movers and jumpers. None have had any bone/joint issues as far as I know. I’d definitely recommend Prototype as a sire, the stallion owner is also great to deal with.