Unlimited access >

Proximal Suspensory Desmitis

My 5 year old ISH was diagnosed with Proximal Suspensory Desmitis in October after dealing with NQR for 2 years. He has this in his hind legs secondary to conformation due to straight hocks. We’ve followed the vets protocol to a T and it’s just not panning out so I’m trying to prepare for what’s coming next.
He had a round of shockwave, 7 doses of adequan, PRP, from barefoot to shod with suspensory shoes, stall rest with hand walking for a month. Cleared to do 2 weeks of riding at the walk and to start adding trot after that 2 weeks. It came to start trotting and it hasn’t gone well. It’s almost like he has had zero veterinary intervention at all. Like we’ve done nothing. This is a super super good vet so seeing someone better is probably not an option because I do have the best already. This vet says he doesn’t “need” the surgery, but she also hasn’t told me outright that he can’t have it because of his straight hocks. So I’m wondering if it will be on the table later? If they’re going to say my horse is ineligible for surgery to correct this then I would hope they have an objective way to measure what horse qualifies and which horse doesn’t.

When I asked about the recurrence of lameness symptoms she said she would consider adding muscle relaxers over previcox because she doesn’t want him feeling so good that he hurts himself more.

This wasn’t the result of any specific injury, it’s always been like this. The more he’s ridden the better he goes. As this was explained to me, PSD is considered a repetitive stress injury, so it makes no sense to me that he would improve with more work and decline in less work. He can’t add trot to his walks because he is super stiff in his back, protects it at all costs, has zero range of motion in his back and right hind, he will throw out these little hops, crow hops, swish his tail, throw his head, feel super front end lame,like throwing his front end out in front of himself because he can’t use his hind end appropriately. If these symptoms resolve after a few weeks of consistent w/t/c then doesn’t it make sense that it would be something else? I would think with consistent full work that his legs/suspensory would hurt worse but it seems to be the opposite.

At his one month recheck he jogged sound, and the lameness locator said all lameness had resolved and was no longer present from a month ago. Which is why we got the go ahead to continue. The vet was super optimistic about his prognosis.

Since I’ve shown her 2 videos of what’s going on she told me to back down to just a minute of trot but I can’t even get that so we’ve just been walking. The soonest I can get back in would be around the 12th of January.

Trotting Video

So I’m here to ask the hive what else should I be looking for? The lameness exam that diagnosed him with this issue didn’t continue to investigate once the nerve blocks told them to ultrasound the suspensory area. I feel like there has to be something higher up. Between the LS/SI area down to the suspensories. In his regular body work/chiro sessions his right hip is always more forward than his left and he always cocks his right hind.

I’m wondering if his suspensory issues aren’t from his
conformation at all but something in his back. Ever since he was started he had problems at the canter that were dismissed as strength issues or him being young. I don’t think he’s ever been sound, at least for me to be able to tell the difference. When he’s in regular work and fit, the undesirable behavior like bucking, rearing, crow hopping, pig rooting, all seem to disappear until you put him in an emotional situation like a show environment. Then he’s right back to being locked up in his back and acting out. Otherwise the only thing you’d be able to occasionally notice is the lack of range of motion his right hind has. The arc is more flat and restricted, doesnt track up like the left hind, and he plaits or rope walks with the right hind.
Other things of note: he can’t poop and walk at the same time. He does phenomenal in dressage but is not competitive in stadium because he continually knocks rails with his hind legs. He has zero confidence in cross country and he acts out especially when it comes to this. He’s very talented. Was bred for this job. He is strong and stout. I just think he’s so used to his body failing him in one way or another that he’s worried. His plantar angle in his hind feet was slightly positive, and I’m aware of the correlation of more positive angles and better outcomes for this.

This vet is a 3 hour drive away. What am I supposed to say about all of this? Is it expected to fail a rehab plan before investigating further? Am I to settle for muscle relaxers in this case? I’m really interested in what she’s going to say.

First, I have to say I have never had to deal with a chronic stress injury in a horse, and indeed neither have my coaches or riding buddies. So it’s not something I have first hand experience with or have learned about from my mentors or from the inside.

However I see a lot of chronic stress injuries at our barn, including in younger horses. And they seem very very hard to resolve.

My observations on your case.

1. If the horse is sound at home but seems off at shows, then there’s something else going on.

2. If the horse has been kept on stall rest for months and never trotted, there is going to be weakness when rehabbing. Think about when a person has an injury, how long it takes to get full range of motion after the cast or bandage comes off. When I sprained my ankle last, it took a year before I had full control of range of motion. When I broke my foot, when I was cleared for walking after 6 weeks I couldn’t figure out how to step down onto an escalator.

5 Likes

To your first point, at one particular venue he started off just fine. With repeated trips the outings got worse. Which is contrary to anything I know about fear in horses and going places. This is the first time I’ve had a horse start out somewhere decently and just go down hill instead of becoming more confident.
Other venues he can be hot or cold at. I’m wondering if it has to do with how much pain he is in that day. He holds the tension in his back which after a lot of normal work he can be just fine, when there is an emotional aspect to it then he is incredibly reactive and goes like his back hurts.

To your second point, I understand that there is going to be some loss of fitness, stiffness, and everything that goes with that. My issue is that the symptoms of this versus what we experienced prior is no different so I’m also having to discern if it’s safe to keep going or if I’m subjecting him to further injury. So for now I’ve backed way off out of an abundance of caution. Just 2 weeks ago during one of our walks he just seemed to explode out of nowhere and it was over as fast as it started. I have sat a lot of his antics and they’ve been pretty violent and I’ve not been unseated. Literally fell off him at the walk because he reared and bucked at the same time if that makes any sense. Caught me so off guard I had no time to prepare. And then he just stood there looking at me as if nothing happened. If he were fresh he would have used that opportunity to book it across the pasture but he didn’t. Got back on and finished our walk, but none of this is enjoyable. At all. Trying to start the trot work when he feels like a literal bomb about to explode because of so much tension is just awful. He is not a hot horse at all. Getting him to go is a full time job. (He doesn’t go forward, just UP!) I bought a project mare to keep me busy during his recovery and it’s amazing the difference between one that is naturally forward and…. Him, who is not. :tipping_hand_woman:t3:

None of this makes sense to me.

Your description plus his tail carriage and back movement in the video sounds/looks a lot like my horse with chronic SI instability and degeneration. SI symptoms and PSD symptoms can also look a lot alike. Main difference is the improves with work part, provided you can keep him willing enough to work somewhat properly/within a comfort zone anyway. Your horse is pretty asymmetrical. Mine had bilateral pathology and was not straight in the hocks, but he would make his hocks sore / inflamed on occasion when dealing with all of the rest. Because he didn’t have PSD, that component could be managed with infrequent hock injections. We treated his SI every 6 months and it was probably never going to be enough to fix the behavior, but he had other significant body issues as well. All of his SI scans appeared normal, but we found significant problems on necropsy (PTS for an unrelated emergency reason, but I wanted to learn from his issues and had a more extensive necropsy done).

5 Likes

I think I’m going to somehow insist that his SI be inspected more…. His physical exam was unremarkable. He didn’t show any lameness on his initial lameness exam jog until they were almost done with it. That was after a lot of jogging on asphalt. When I asked her at the initial exam about SI symptoms she just said that primary SI issues are bad. As if PSD is any better? I feel like there’s a connection to something else and he won’t heal while either one isn’t being managed.

1 Like

He doesn’t look out of range for a young horse who has never had a chance to get fit and is now starting a rehab program. These pages are full of riders asking how to get their horses back to work without getting killed! To me he looks fresh and unfit but not particularly lame. Irish horses are famously attitudinal as youngsters and 4/5 seems to be the hardest age. Hang in there, do the rehab (with some tq if necessary) and keep in mind he’s just a kid. Hopefully you’ll have a lovely 10 year old and some good war stories. Best of luck!

4 Likes

Thank you! That is the view I am trying to foster. No matter the immediate outcome, at least we have time. With time I will also be dealing with a more mature gelding so it’s a win win. He really is good natured but he’s very vocal about his discomfort. He’s not a horse that internalizes pain. In the beginning with him it was hard for me to tell if what he was doing was behavior related or pain related on whether to continue or take a step back. I hate that it’s taken so long to get a diagnosis but still feel like there’s something else.

He didn’t look bad to start, but after he started the little hops that looked like attempts to canter his trot looked uneven and uncomfortable.

My first thought after seeing the video is PSSM. Your description of his behavior and the different movement patterns between hind legs makes me think there’s something else. He looks increasingly unhappy about something as the trot goes on. I don’t remember seeing it in your post - you did check saddle fit?

If I thought the current vet was not going to listen to me about other causes I would get a second opinion. I would want them look at his back (SI, kissing spine) and have very clearly explained reasoning for why they think those are not likely.

And because of my experiences with the horse I euthanized this fall, I would have a neurological exam done. That’s probably my own personal demons speaking at this point, but it’s something to keep in mind if you’re not getting anywhere with diagnosis and treatment. I always thought my horse was a bit of a drama queen because the tiniest thing wrong could be a huge issue. Now I think he was handling so much already that the tiny thing was just one thing too many on that day.

Regardless of whether you do a neuro assessment or not, push for more. You know your horse better than the vet, and you’re the one who has to advocate for him.

11 Likes

My horse was flexed and examined a gazillion times and never deemed lame from any of his back or pelvis stuff. Even when we injected his hocks, he maybe flexed 1/5. But he just had even more lateral swing and would load his hind feet unevenly which went away when the hocks were treated. He had extra mobility in his back as a contributory factor. Straight leg conformation also tends to put more strain on the SI especially when they are young and under muscled and wanting to go a bit out behind.

2 Likes

I agree with this. I was thinking it might just be unfit young horse in the beginning, but they I saw the pain pretty clearly.

Having retired a horse with proximal suspensory desmitis (after stem cells and surgery), I’m not convinced that is what is going on here. Or if it is, I’m not convinced that it’s the only issue. An issue somewhere else could be causing the horse to compensate by moving differently and thus continually straining the hocks. What have you done on SI, back, neck, and stifles?

4 Likes

Do you think this might have been an incidental find? I feel like since they didn’t investigate anything higher than the hock aside from previous hock and stifle X-rays that were clean and then palpation. Haven’t done anything diagnostic with his back or neck.

He moves like a horse I met once that had a healed broken pelvis - uneven and almost too loose up high, if that makes sense. I’d vote for something up high. Most likely not a broken pelvis, but maybe SI/low back.

2 Likes

Hmm. This might be a little out there but have you scoped for ulcers? We had one present with a similar hop and it ended up being nasty ulcers.

3 Likes

It’s possible, but not certain. Assuming you ultrasounded and found some pathology there, I’d take is seriously - I just wouldn’t assume that it’s the origin of the issue, or even the main issue, unless you’ve taken a thorough look the other places that cause this sort of gait, and cause the horse to overload the suspensories to compensate.

1 Like

We definitely got ultrasound confirmation of the PSD diagnosis. His left hind is mostly healed from it. The first year we had a lot of trouble with the left canter and this year it switched to the right lead go figure and now that’s the bad leg.

Not scoped, but treated out of precaution. We did a lot of stuff in the 2 years he was undiagnosed while trying to find the root cause of this issue. He’s such an easy keeper it makes him a hard keeper because he gets fat on air.
Treated for ulcers, epm, fed and managed like a pssm horse but genetically tested negative (I know to take those genetic tests with a grain of salt), brand new custom $8k saddle I got to ride in 3 times before his diagnosis, he has 24/7 access to a lameness specialty farrier, I don’t know what boxes we haven’t checked except imaging and further diagnostics of the back. I think the vet in general was hopeful this would be it and it’s taking this failing the rehab to get her to look further. This is just how it is I think, I’m not upset about it. I just want some type of definitive answer so I know I’m not hurting him and if I need to make a more serious call and stop throwing good money after bad I need to know :open_mouth:‍:dash:

1 Like

Thanks. My vet says that SI as a primary injury is rare, because it is often referred from a lower limb injury, but it was on the list when my horse had PSD if it didn’t get fixed with basic treatment. I would probably focus on that. Have you done a bone scan?

With these types you never know if you are throwing good money after bad or just getting some answers, I swear.

2 Likes

My horse, with proximal s suspensory desmitis is also straight behind. Multiple episodes of NQR followed by seemingly fine. Once diagnosed we went through the same basic protocol as far as treatment, but he stayed in a small pasture with another horse. I don’t stall my horses unless absolutely necessary. After 8 months, looked good on US and slowly back to work. Eighteen months of rehab back to prior level (3rd) and got my bronze medal on him. I decided not to push him further and just to have fun. He definitely goes better in regular work. Things we did: 20 minute walk warmup every time. He lives out 24/7. Ultrasound check of suspensories every year or so. Some days he looks great, some days not. On the not days we do easy stuff.

2 Likes

That’s about the same as how he was managed. Turned out 24/7 because otherwise his back would lock up so much. It was even worse at shows when he would have to be stalled. Emotions + Tension + Mystery pain = awful experiences for everyone.

This vet told me that having him turned out is what has prevented him from healing. He had 2 months off in his pasture because we did a wall resection on his front left to take care of a crack. Bringing him back into work was just as awful but at least I know that it gets better with work and so we got through it. This time I feel like I’m babying him and not wanting to push him through this because I don’t want to injure him worse. Today was a good day for him. The sun was shining it was 71 and sunny with a cool breeze. He was marching right along, ears forward, offered me a little bit of a pokey trot and I let him until he decided to walk again. He does the same motion of throwing his head in the air like head bobbing lame to get his front end out of the way of his back end.

For my horse, the line separating laziness and lameness is incredibly blurred. During his initial lameness exam while jogging barefoot on the asphalt he dragged his hind toes so bad you could hear them scrape on the pavement and then his toes were almost completely filed down. The vet said that was from laziness but I have a hard time accepting that. He would always hit rails with his back end and I think he just can’t do it, not that he won’t. He didn’t toe drag as much with his follow up visit a month later with being shod all the way around. He was in a suspensory shoe in the hind end and it was a bar shoe with a little bit of a trailer. My farrier decided that those shoes had served their purpose and moved him into the shoes he’s going to permanently stay in and it has an itty bitty trailer and it’s not a bar shoe.

Just blows my mind because while in my care since I bought him he hasn’t sustained any injuries. Literally not a scratch on him. He was competing in the FEH series for his whole life and winning, even USEA featured an article about his conformation. I did send him off to training for 3 months because I bought him unstarted. Nothing happened there either, he was going great, a 13 year old rode him around the starter track at majestic oaks when he was 2 months under saddle as a 3 year old. He came home perfectly fine. His PPE was darn near immaculate. It’s been downhill ever since and I never got to experience him actually going well and happily. I almost sold him, had plenty of people tell me that I just need to sell him to someone with young horse experience but this isn’t a me problem. This is a medical issue that we’ve been dealing with and training on top of as well, because additionally he has been written off as unfit and not strong so literally his entire career has been based on getting him stronger and it never sticks for long.

4 Likes