Unlimited access >

PSA Collegiate Saddle Safety Recall

I got a safety recall on my Collegiate Monoflap Event and I didn’t see it posted it anywhere here so thought I’d share in case anyone else has one (there are several models and years involved)
Saddle Recall

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a public saddle recall. Thanks for sharing. I don’t have one, but it’s good to know.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting this! I see that it includes the Degree, Graduate, Honour, Integrity, Lectern, and Warwick from March 2019 to July 2023, for those who don’t want to click the link. I can’t imagine what it’s going to cost to replace all of those saddles! But then, lawsuits aren’t cheap, either. (Neither are hospital bills!)

2 Likes

Wow…
Four years of saddle production. Holy cow.
Interesting to note: a friend of mine had this same issue on a different saddle (ie, not this brand). Stirrup bar fell off as she was mounting. The rivets sheared off (the bar itself did not break). Super, super dangerous. Definitely a manufacturing defect.

not to go off on a tangent but I suspect it was Purchasing who errored procuring a fastener that was not tested to the expected standard

For decades I was in manufacturing of consumer products having to research why a product failed. Often The Problem was traced back to purchasing’s failure to adhere to the engineering guidelines for competent quality. The purchasing agent’s goal is to buy the item required to make the product at the best price where even a mill in savings (1/10th of a cent) can easily add up to to tens of thousands of dollars savings.

We had more than one instant where a 1/10th of cent cost hundreds of thousand dollars to correct.

8 Likes

You are correct: that failure does not read like workmanship as much as a problem with the rivet itself. Frightening that the safety of such an expensive item could be compromised by this cheap bulk-purchased item.

1 Like

My husband sells industrial fasteners and he’s always shocked by people who want to use the wrong part for an application. I mean, the rivets are probably one of the least expensive components and to skimp on the right quality is both ridiculous and frightening.

6 Likes

Anyone send their saddle in for the recall? I tried to contact them for an estimate on how long it may take to get a replacement and they wouldn’t or couldn’t give me an answer. Hoping to hear from someone who got a replacement on how long it took!

1 Like

I’ve never seen a recall on a saddle before, interesting! Thanks for sharing to make those of us with their saddles aware!

Mine is a 1996 model from Miller’s, so looks like I’m good! :rofl:

1 Like

I did, took 5-6 weeks