Unlimited access >

PSA on Tall Boot buying (or other tack/clothing stuff)

Over the last couple of years, I have bought 2 pairs of Mountain Horse Sovereigns (one brown and one black) and just purchased a pair of the Serenades. I found that the best place to buy from is the Drill Shed in England. Significantly cheaper than in the US and free shipping. With both pairs of the Sovereigns, the boots were at my door in 3 days from when I placed the order. With the exchange rate the price on the Serenades was just under $362. Retail price from the usual US tack stores is $519. US buyers don’t pay any taxes on the products.

They also carry other brands and a variety of tack and clothing.

Just thought ya’ll might want to know.

13 Likes

I’ve bought from Drillshed before too and had the same experience- best price and surprisingly fast shipping :+1::+1:

Divosa is also a great option, they have a boot that is very similar to the two tone MH

I’ve ordered pads from them for a good price and had no issues. Recently ordered from Ride-A-Way on Monday and had my stuff in Idaho on Wednesday with free shipping (and >50% off the clearance items I bought).

I have to say that my Mountain Horse Estelles, which I loved when they were new, are falling apart well ahead of their time. 2.5 years of riding two horses, but I also have been wearing different dressage boots and my indestructible Ariat Bromonts during that time, so they’ve gotten more like one solid year of use and already the the leather is wearing through at the calf. I had to have them stitched up at the elastic gusset after about a year (and they are NOT tight on me). Mountain Horse boots are not cheap enough to warrant such a short lifespan! With recent exchange rates, it will be cheaper in the long run to buy higher-end boots that last. I’d forecast that my Petrie’s will easily last 5x as long for less than 2x the cost.

I’ve read other accounts of poor craftsmanship on the MH boots. However, mine have not had any issues. I only ride 1 horse a day, about 4 days per week, so they get lighter use. I am also very careful to only wear them in the barn while tacking and untacking. I try not to walk around in our sandy soil as that is killer on any boot. I also don’t wear them when I shower the horses off. The Serenades I just purchased will be for shows/clinics only.

I also only wear my boots for riding, but the sole/foot is not the issue. Really it’s the leather quality that is the weakest link. It is just wearing through where my calf contacts the horse. Next time the gusset blows out, there won’t be any leather to sew it back together. Luckily I have custom Cavallos on order that should be here any day.

1 Like

I ordered my boots late Saturday night (MST). I got a notice today that they will arrive on Wednesday. Pretty impressive as the order was just processed yesterday (Sunday) and shipped today (Monday). Even if you don’t like the particular product, the tack store is awesome!