Unlimited access >

PTO spreader for overseeding/fertilizing

I have a small horse farm and need a spreader for fertilizing, overseeding, and possibly salting/Magging the arena. I have a B series Kubota so a 3-point PTO spreader seems like a good idea. Better than pulling something around and the cost is not super high. Is it stupid to expect one spreader to do all of those different things? How do I know what size seeds etc it will handle?

Also: if I buy a 180 lb spreader but only need to spread small quantities of seed (like 10-20 lbs), will it still work?

Thanks for any help!!!

They are very imprecise, and mostly too fast for seed. If you’ve got a big area to overseed they work OK as long as what you want is the job done fast. Set it on the lowest setting and adjust from there or you’ll waste 50 lbs in the one spot before getting it right.

If you’ve got 10-20 lbs to spread do it by hand. You can’t precisely drop 10lb from a tractor. You want something like
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/chapin-84500-surespread-bag-spreader

If the ground is flat a tow behind drop seeder aimed at a lawn tractor might be a better compromise. Cheap, reasonably precise, but slow and fragile.

By a “spreader” do you mean a manure spreader? If so it won’t work for fertilizer or seed.

You’ve got three different products, here, and each has very different qualities so each will require a specific piece of equipment.

For seed you can use a drill or a broadcast spreader. If your local soil conservation office has one then rent a drill from them. Drilling is generally superior to broadcasting as you will have less loss and better germination.

For fertilizer we order the product from our co-op and they include the use of a “buggy” in the price.

For manure we had a spreader as did most of my tenants. Right now we don’t so we have a “manure pile.” It’s been composting for some time now. The SCS office has a spreader so later in the winter I’ll rent it and take care of the “pile.”

For the seeder and fertilizer just rent them if you can. Call your Extension office and find out who has them. For the manure spreader it might make sense to buy one. The “estate” size units are OK but I’l look around for a used “real” spreader.

Good luck in your search.

G.

i have a 200 pound tow-behind pellet fertilizer spreader that I have used to fertilize pastures that were too steep or dangerous to pull the spreader wagon/buggy into.

I wouldn’t mess with the 3-point mounted variety - pain in the a$$ to load.