PTSD recovery

Anyone else on here dealing with this? I am a Disabled American Vet who was in Iraq and got out of the military where I overcame my fears and completed some pretty hairy missions.

Now I’m 2 years into learning to ride. Initially on a very reactive horse, my tendency to start at loud noises, sudden movements, etc., created a VERY bad situation for both of us. I have a lovely mare now who I am learning to trust and she is learning to trust me. I have to find ways to control my fears when I’m on her and it’s like immediate biofeedback. I find that it’s helping me in life. It helps that I have an outstanding trainer to work with.

Anyone else working through anything like this?

Sent you a pm

I have been a spouse of a PTSD suffered. My husband came back from Iraq with severe PTSD. Was hospitalized several times. Tough times. I think the theraputic riding aspect is wonderful. Face it head-on and don’t be afraid to use the resources the military has. It can be very frustrating and feel hopeless. My husband is doing much better, but it has been a long road. Will keep you in my thoughts. PM me anytime!

Thanks everyone. I’ve gotten some fabulous PMs on this thread. I’m doing so much better than when I started. There is actually a therapeutic riding program in the military. I didn’t know about it when i got my mare, but after I found out, I made my trainer read it and teased her that she is actually my therapist.

I’m reading other threads here with interest. My wartime experience left me with a crushed vertebrae, two herniated discs, and a partially dislocated SI joint. All of these make for a very challenging adventure in riding. I look forward to learning so much in this forum.