Unlimited access >

Pumice as arena footing?

So I saw this question on a FB forum: “Can I use pumice as footing in my outdoor ring?”. I answered that that material has some major issues in my mind-- abrasive, easily crushed into powder, lightweight so it would blow away or wash away easily (heck, true pumice floats!), becomes rock hard when powdered and wet, dust would be a health issue potentially (volcanic glass). Has anyone heard of it being used?? The poster said she’d ‘seen’ it in arenas in her area (which I’m familiar with) but I’m wondering if she is confusing it with pea gravel or something? Thoughts?

silica dust in the lungs, for me or the horse, no thank you

I also have to wonder about the micro-abrasion in the fetlocks

I think there are a lot of better and safer options out there

did you see the videos from Mt St Helens a few weeks ago where the wind was picking up and blowing the dust? Even after all this time, it still drifts

4 Likes

Are you sure she isn’t seeing screenings/bluestone? I can see how that, with it’s grayish/bluish color, could be confused for pumice.

as for pumice and the question? Uhh, no! LOL

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of it being used. I can’t imagine how one would even keep it in the arena. Let alone the respiratory issues that would accompany it. :mask:

3 Likes

I don’t even know where on earth you’d get it in that large of quantity! We have it in paddocks at my barn, because the BO works in the nursery industry. Brings home what is thrown out after rooting cuttings. But even at that, takes a long time to get a large pile. Personally, I hate it. Yes, it drains. But it breaks down way too fast, is super dusty, very abrasive.
I can’t imagine what this person is actually seeing? I can’t think of anything other than some kind of sand, that would look like pumice from a distance?

they use pumice for starting plants? potting bareroot stock. That seems counter to what I know about pumice as far as its abrasive nature and repelling water. But I know nothing about nursery except what comes out from them.

I too wonder what it is this person is actually seeing and where would one actually get a large amount of pumice? Most active volcanic areas are protected.

@hoopoe. I wonder if that’s actually vermiculite that is coming from the nursery??

The poster stated they lived in Redmond, OR…so lots of the red ‘cinder’ available there in Central OR. Which is very similar to white pumice. A quick Google search revealed that around Crater Lake, there are pumice fields left over from Mt. Mazama’s eruption(s), but much of that is indeed in the monument zone. The OP must be mistaken about what material they are seeing in arenas in the Redmond area.

My Google search also revealed that you can buy pumice and red cinder in large quantities here in OR. But still… I cannot imagine using it as any kind of footing for horses in any application!

hoopoe and @Calvincrowe no, it is not vermiculite. That’s a very different product.

Here’s a picture for reference: https://www.acmesand.com/soil-amendments/horticultural-pumice/

The 1/4" minus is what we end up with at our barn, more or less. It’s gray, very light.

Vermiculite looks like flakes, usually, kinda gold colored. https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-use-vermiculite-5089699

OK I see that is interesting. I wonder if its pH is favorable to certain type plants.